300 Gallon Stocking Help

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I really love that dwarf gouramis(cont. asia) discus(northern SA), halfbeaks (mostly SAE islands), and a few other fish from south American are from the same GEOGRAPHICAL (not geological lol) areas.

practice what you preach.

Sidenote, your stocking recommendations are very sparse for a 300 gallon. I feel like with proper water change schedule and filtration even the stocking level OP stated was low enough to not be of concern.
I'm aware that I mix geographical regions, but I never mix more than two geographical regions. Honestly, if it were up to me, I would choose what I said above, but I don't have complete control over my tank.

To the OP, you can mix geographical regions, but just be careful, and I personally wouldn't go for more than two regions at a time. I mixed the fish I have because I knew they would be fine together in temperament, and all of that, I wouldn't have mixed if I knew they were of completely different personalities and aggression levels.

I know my stocking recommendations are sparse, hence why I added "+" at the end of many of the recommendations, and also, since you mention practicing what you preach, I have a minimally stocked tank as of right now, and I always tell myself and others who I'm trying to help that understocking is better than overstocking even when the tank is mature.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
I'm aware that I mix geographical regions, but I never mix more than two geographical regions. Honestly, if it were up to me, I would choose what I said above, but I don't have complete control over my tank.

To the OP, you can mix geographical regions, but just be careful, and I personally wouldn't go for more than two regions at a time. I mixed the fish I have because I knew they would be fine together in temperament, and all of that, I wouldn't have mixed if I knew they were of completely different personalities and aggression levels.

I know my stocking recommendations are sparse, hence why I added "+" at the end of many of the recommendations, and also, since you mention practicing what you preach, I have a minimally stocked tank as of right now, and I always tell myself and others who I'm trying to help that understocking is better than overstocking even when the tank is mature.
You and I must be defining geographical regions very differently. I define mine as river systems, mountain ranges, and other features that could isolate an environment or range.
under my definition you would have 3+ regions of fish.
for continents you would still have three regions depending if you throw Sulawesi/Boreo into Asia or Oceania,
The amazing thing is fish don’t read textbooks, so as long as they aren’t getting bullied, have parameters in a range that they experience in nature, have an appropriate amount of conspecifics, and are getting adequate amounts of good quality food. You will never hear one complain.
in my most mishmashed tank, every single species of fish is from a different geographic region by my definition. But due to adequate research and experience with the fish in my care. Each fish is happily thriving, growing, and exhibiting breeding behavior if they are sexually mature.
If OP’s expressed goal was to set up a biotope tank, your recommendations would not be deemed inaccurate. But by extrapolation you can infer that the poster simply wants a thriving, lively community tank with fish he enjoys. And we should do our absolute best as (hopefully) knowledgeable fish keepers to support that goal.
Not use a person seeking advice to push your personal beliefs on aquarium stocking, which you do not even abide by even after clarification.

if you aren’t seeking to support a fish keepers journey and their vision with their tank. Why do you even comment. If it were to the detriment of the fishes health or long term growth I would understand. But it clearly is not many of the fish he listed I have had successfully cohabitated. Stocked customers tanks with. And no issues have arisen.

All I’m trying to get you to understand is that when people come to a forum looking for advice on how to appropriately stock a tank. Rather than saying how WE would personally stock it. Those offering advice should try to help the poster achieve their vision for their home aquarium.

I’m checking out of this thread after this comment (unless the OP has any questions specifically directed towards me) as I believe I have offered OP appropriate guidance on his aquarium. and don’t want to clutter up his thread arguing with a teenager.

thanks for listening to my soapbox

Bloodmoon

Feeder Fish
Mar 7, 2024
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I've had good luck in the past with mixing a bunch of oddball stuff with similar parameter ranges. Makes for a fun time watching. Used to have a 210 gallon and I had a lazy boy sat right in front of it for viewing lol

Forgot to mention the Albino Rainbow Shark. I think I've had one in nearly every set up i've ever done. The one in my 210g grew to be a monster. I have one currently that will be going in the new set up.

Maybe I'm overthinking it but I feel like my list is missing some other group of mid to top swimmers though.
Any ideas anyone? Or Kayden Kayden After watching a few videos of the Petricolas that sold me on them to replace the loaches lol

The working list below is kind of what I have going for final stocking.

6 petricola synodontus
12 Roseline Sharks
1 Albino rainbow shark
1 Fire Eel
1 Black Ghost knife
3 Rope fish

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I've had good luck in the past with mixing a bunch of oddball stuff with similar parameter ranges. Makes for a fun time watching. Used to have a 210 gallon and I had a lazy boy sat right in front of it for viewing lol

Forgot to mention the Albino Rainbow Shark. I think I've had one in nearly every set up i've ever done. The one in my 210g grew to be a monster. I have one currently that will be going in the new set up.

Maybe I'm overthinking it but I feel like my list is missing some other group of mid to top swimmers though.
Any ideas anyone? Or Kayden Kayden After watching a few videos of the Petricolas that sold me on them to replace the loaches lol

The working list below is kind of what I have going for final stocking.

6 petricola synodontus
12 Roseline Sharks
1 Albino rainbow shark
1 Fire Eel
1 Black Ghost knife
3 Rope fish
Perhaps some Hujeta Gar or some African Butterfly Fish?

Reactions: Bloodmoon

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I would think that the roselines want much more flow than what the rope fish will be looking for, and probably the black ghost, although he will handle flow ok. As for the petricola, you’re going for a ph 8 hard water lake synodontis with ph 6.5 softer water barbs and other fish.
Think I would stick with 6 clowns (they are really slow growing beyond 6”) and a feature syno like the angelicus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store