300gal Population

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Swimming in a mountain river
Going to have a North American tank. Looking for suggestions on what to stock it with. Will b 300gal, have a red eared slider and yellow belly slider, and I'd prefer no one thats a tough keeper. Probably something that has the same environmental requirements as the turtles. Large fish do best with my turtles, so something above 10in. There's SO many different options. Bring on the suggestions!

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
I think a large minnow community like fatheads would be pretty interesting in this tank, sure its not a large fish but your fish will eat them which is very healthy and they will clean up the bits of food your turtles don't eat. As for bigger fish any sunfish would probably work.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
brown bullhead, florida gar, a variety of sunfish, bowfin, some crawdads, crappie. i have several of these in my own tank. the setup you have is the one i would like to get in the near future. post pics soon!

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Crawdads make a nice snack for my turtles. Had 3 at one point in my 240gal. Plenty of hiding spots. I thought they'd b fine. They slowly vanished. Empty shell pieces here and there. I liked them too :(

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Been looking into laws about illegal fish in my state(want to follow laws afterall)... y the hell r Florida gar illegal? There's no way they could survive a WA winter. They can't eat small children. I can't see any reason. It says "All Garfish". Seems unreasonable ... That's a huge blow... gar r so awesome. Was looking forward to having a gar. I like the pumpkinseed and redbreast sunfish. Can't find anything against them yet. But i can't see n e ones gonna bust down my door for a non dangerous fish. But. Law is the law i guess :(

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Is a barred muskie too big? Or would one eat my turtles?

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
redfin and grass pickerel would be better options. Sunfish are always awesome and so many different kinds. Smallmouth would be sweet. Bullhead, big chubs, small specimens of bowfin, drum, carp, buffalo etc.

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
K... Possible population of 300gal: Redfin pickerel. Pumpkinseed, red breast sunfish. 2 turtles. Too many or not enough? ;)

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Wait... I'm confused... Looked up Florida longnose gar, and multiple pet sites say they're legal in WA. Is the MFK list outdated? I'd imagine a pet seller would keep up with those things... I'd much rather keep my favorite fish :D

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
Wait... I'm confused... Looked up Florida longnose gar, and multiple pet sites say they're legal in WA. Is the MFK list outdated? I'd imagine a pet seller would keep up with those things... I'd much rather keep my favorite fish :D
I would call and check with your local DNR (conservation dept or division of natural resources), the laws change every year, just to make sure; Bullhead, Stonecats, Golden Shiners and Pumpkinseeds would be perfect for a 300g with your turtles; I would not put Bowfin in with turtles, and Im not sure how gar would do with turtles....but over in the ancient fish section under gars there are some really dedicated gar keepers who will be able to help you with that info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store