300ish Gallon plywood - First attempt

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Welcome back. I know the thread is old when I get an email about it :)
Why is that? Are sub notices not a thing anymore? It seems the forum moved once or twice. I like the new interface. Its pretty smooth.

And thank you. I'm setting up a 60 gallon currently. My baby step back into the big end of the hobby pool.

New build

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
Why is that? Are sub notices not a thing anymore? It seems the forum moved once or twice. I like the new interface. Its pretty smooth.
New build
When you go onto the site you can see which threads have been updated. It's pretty handy

Glad you've geld onto your build. Any plans on setting it back up?

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
not the 300 no. My family sold the place I was renting and I was moving to a much smaller apartment. So I had to take the tank apart which meant destroying it.

I can build the wood again. But I saved the glass since that is good forever and I paid so much for it.

Reactions: Dis

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I would never sleep at night and be afraid to come home! Once I had a 55 gal on the second floor and the back popped out.

Thank God we were home. No more tanks on the second floor.
Fortunately plywood tanks are much more forgiving, a little flex or uneveness in the floor won't be a problem. I currently have a 370 gallon plywood tank on a floor with a basement below...no problems

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Fortunately plywood tanks are much more forgiving, a little flex or unevenness in the floor won't be a problem. I currently have a 370 gallon plywood tank on a floor with a basement below...no problems
I agree. Tanks over say 55 on a 2nd floor is starting to push it for load rating. For my setup this was in a building the I helped build. It was extremely overbuilt. My tank was against the wall where the joists are all supported and I placed it in the center of the room which had a support wall directly below it. Our 1st-floor wood shop had a 8" block wall running down the center of it and the 2nd-floor beams spanned full width with that wall supporting. The tank was sitting directly on the wall.

Holy crap...I just replied to a post from 2009..lol
You did indeed. But my recent return seems to have sparked some new interest. Our at least drug this post up to the top.

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store