30g stocking? Malawi?

BigTim15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
East Coast
I have a 30g set up already cycled. I want africans and want them to last and dont want to stunt them. So can i get any from malawi or are they too big? If i couldnt get any from there i was thinking Buffaloheads...Please tell me your suggestions.

kscichlidfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
kansas
Yeah I think its best to skip Malawi and go for a Tang setup. Could go with 2 colonys of shellies possibly if you use a divider maybe? Or a colony of a Julidichromis type like transcriptus or gombi maybe.

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
My advice is to do the shellies or maybe a pair of brichardi in a species only tank. They would breed nice in there for you and are fun to watch them raise the babies. If you do the brichardi you will have to get a group 4 or 5, put them in there, when two pair off and start attacking the others then you will need to remove the others and just leave the paired male and female to play house LOL.

mahemaheman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
spokane
cichlidgirl;2262998; said:
My advice is to do the shellies or maybe a pair of brichardi in a species only tank. They would breed nice in there for you and are fun to watch them raise the babies. If you do the brichardi you will have to get a group 4 or 5, put them in there, when two pair off and start attacking the others then you will need to remove the others and just leave the paired male and female to play house LOL.

i agree, brichardi are very cool fish

bl00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Baltimore
If you end up deciding to do a malawi setup, take some time to look into smaller species such as socolofi, afra cobue's, and Iodotropheus sprengerae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store