-do you prefer a different media?
-how often do you backwash?
Thanks.

jsc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
What specifically are you trying to accomplish with your in tank plumbing?
It is an under gravel jet system. Water is returned down into the jet system and up through the substrate. This "hopefully" will keep flow up out of substrate, and dirt/waste towards overflows and drains.

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
I think it will. Personally, I'd be worried about how much gravel I'd have to cover it up with so I couldn't see it and if that would affect the flow by much. And how much extra strain on the pump it would make. I'd also be concerned with siphoning in the event of a power outtage. You wouldn't want to drain the entire tank if a check valve got stuck. I guess if you just drill a small hole in the return line near the top of the tank that would handle that.

jsc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
I think it will. Personally, I'd be worried about how much gravel I'd have to cover it up with so I couldn't see it and if that would affect the flow by much. And how much extra strain on the pump it would make.
I'm not worried about strain on pump, it's 3400 gph at 20 ft of head. It should be fine.
...I'd also be concerned with siphoning in the event of a power outtage. You wouldn't want to drain the entire tank if a check valve got stuck. I guess if you just drill a small hole in the return line near the top of the tank that would handle that.
Not sure that matters. I can put the hole in for a siphon break, but there's no sump, so it can only drain until pump and pipes are full.

I gave it a test fill last night. It went OK. one of the elbows at overflow is leaking. I'm going to cut it out and change tonight.

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
Ah, I didn't realize it was a closed system.

I've had 950, 1800 and 3600 gph pumps that I greatly underestimated the power of when I was making returns and spray bars. The extra pressure on the pump when there isn't enough outlet will reduce the life.

Just trying to be helpful, not criticize. It looks great. I can't want to see it done.

jsc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
Ah, I didn't realize it was a closed system.

I've had 950, 1800 and 3600 gph pumps that I greatly underestimated the power of when I was making returns and spray bars. The extra pressure on the pump when there isn't enough outlet will reduce the life.

Just trying to be helpful, not criticize. It looks great. I can't want to see it done.
I greatly appreciate the advice. That's why I'm posting on here. Many knowledgeable people to help. More brains and eyes to catch something, know what I mean?

My pump is the pentair 348024. It's 1/2hp and high pressure pump. I don't know how to put pump curves on here, but I think I should be good. Let me know otherwise.

jsc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
I put 320 1/8" holes in undergravel jet grid. They point down at 45 degrees.

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
I assume you can mathematically figure out how many holes you need to have acceptable pressure on the pump and also get the power you want.

I had spray bars in a 90g and a 190g that I ended up having to change due to pressure. The 190g I plumbed in a ball valve and a return back in to the sump so i could control how much pressure I had going back to the spray bars. That was partially for the overflows as well, but I actually had to cut the end of a spray bar off as well. The 90g I had to double the holes I had originally made.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store