3mX0.6mX2m plywood plan - Please advise: Super Laykold vs Durapond? (South Africa)

resma

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2018
Hi :)

I'm planing on building a plywood tank, using local (South Africa) materials.
From the experience of anyone who has used both, or one of A.B.E's Super Laykold and/or Durapond to waterproof plywood
  1. What are the advantages of one over the other?
  2. What's the life expectancy? 3 years? 10 years? 30 years?
  3. What sealants work well with Super Laykold or Durapond? Does 3M 560 do? (bostick's marine silicon sealant doesn't)?
  4. What other S.A. materials should I use for strengthening/pre-cotting the plywood, that work well with either Super Laykold or Durapond?

Many thanks
Cheers

vn1500

Gambusia
Dec 23, 2008
south africa
Hi.

Also in SA. Built a plywood aquarium for a friend 15 years ago. One layer of fiberglass. (Did a very bad job lots of bubbles) Sanded and applied Durapond Tank is still running. It has leaked but only around the silicon seal. Was just seeping very slowly. That was after ten years. Cut the silicone and re did it. Nothing wrong with the pond seal that we could see.

Planning my build for the new year. Slightly smaller that yours.

Reactions: resma and Bertie07

resma

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2018
Thanks a lot
Hi.

Also in SA. Built a plywood aquarium for a friend 15 years ago. One layer of fiberglass. (Did a very bad job lots of bubbles) Sanded and applied Durapond Tank is still running. It has leaked but only around the silicon seal. Was just seeping very slowly. That was after ten years. Cut the silicone and re did it. Nothing wrong with the pond seal that we could see.

Planning my build for the new year. Slightly smaller that yours.
Thanks a lot vn1500. Send us some pictures of your project.
I'm still in the planing phase :)
Cheers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store