4-5 year old Flowerhorn sick

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
I have had this golden base for about 4 years, water always good nitrates always on the lower end.
lately he isn’t doing well stomach os kind of bloated, and getting pale.
added some epsom salt and waiting to see if he gets better, anything else I can do or is it just his time. I thought they lived longer but have seen some post say they don’t usually make it past 5 :(

View attachment IMG_1447.jpeg

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
I have had this golden base for about 4 years, water always good nitrates always on the lower end.
lately he isn’t doing well stomach os kind of bloated, and getting pale.
added some epsom salt and waiting to see if he gets better, anything else I can do or is it just his time. I thought they lived longer but have seen some post say they don’t usually make it past 5 :(

View attachment 1539086
I would stop feeding for a few days and see if it helps , and when you do start feeding again try food rich in spirilina to help digest, I’ve noticed over feeding in Flowerhorns causes Bloat very easily compared to other American cichlids

Reactions: Hmontoya93

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
Thank you he is going downhill fast and stomach is getting more swollen, I think it might be more humane to put him down. It sucks, love this crazy little guy.
no more hybrids for me, I can’t stand to loose a fish in only a couple of years

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
here is , looks a lot worse in person, and he was bright red and huge hump

View attachment 1539299
Only thing left to do is make sure you do water changes every few days and I would raise the temperature in the tank, I’ve had Flowerhorns go down this road before sometimes they recover other time it’s a never ending problem

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store