40 Gallon Breeder for a poly or two?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
They'd probably be good for life in that tank since captive bred senegalus usually only grow to the 7-9" range

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Incorrect size estimate, no offense.
I kept two senegalus in a 40g breeder for 6 years. They will eventually hit 10-12" depending on your luck. A 75 will have to happen one day. Might as well get another 150 or 180 if you're going to pick up a 75 though. Then you can get some lower jaws :p

Here's my 9 y/o senegalus (cb)

CAM03811.jpg

Awkward shot, I know. I'll take a better one tomorrow. Fyodor is around 11-11.5".

CAM03811.jpg

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
You could add two or three butterfly fish as well. I've been wanting to keep them for a while, but my congicus would destroy them if my gars didn't pick them to pieces first. Rapps has an amazing looking farlowella henriquei (rare whiptail catfish) that would be a nice addition to that lot. I am almost positive I butchered the spelling of that fish. Check tangled up in cichlids to see a shot of it. It looks infinitely better than any whiptail I have ever seen. Thats another fish I would own if my comm were small and peaceful.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
With CB sens 7"-9" is more realistic now-a-days. Sometimes 10"-12", but it's not nearly as common as 7"-9". You also have to remember the genetics have gotten significantly worse in the 9 years you've had your sen so yours isn't nearly as effected as the ones currently being bred and sold. I agree that at least a 75g is what we should want to keep them in, but with a 40B having the depth that is has, it provides barely adequate living quarters for the current sens that will most likely not hit that 10" mark.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
With CB sens 7"-9" is more realistic now-a-days. Sometimes 10"-12", but it's not nearly as common as 7"-9". You also have to remember the genetics have gotten significantly worse in the 9 years you've had your sen so yours isn't nearly as effected as the ones currently being bred and sold. I agree that at least a 75g is what we should want to keep them in, but with a 40B having the depth that is has, it provides barely adequate living quarters for the current sens that will most likely not hit that 10" mark.
That bad huh :/ I guess that makes sense. It took mine years to get this big though. I thought they were capped at 7, but after a diet change and tank upgrade growth resumed.

tommyfc3s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New Jersey
I'm not saying the cb ones can't grow bigger just most of the ones I see only manage to get that size. I'm sure any well fed and taken care of fish would easily out grow the average size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store