40 gallon stocking plan

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I must say I think out of all of these the Jack Dempsey has really gotten my attention. I have a book that says they get up to 7in in size but it doesn't say whether it can be housed in a 40 gallon does anyone know? Also Jack Demspeys are much more common and I can pretty much buy them anywhere, unlike the puffer

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wrightt3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2013
England, United Kingdom
Jack Dempseys are more likely to reach 10" rather than 7" so a 40g may be pushing it in terms of size. If you can afford it, it may be better to go for an electric blue variant as these tend to be smaller on average.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I actually have a question about these guys. I looked online an read that as long as you're feeding them hard shelled invertebrates like snails their teeth will be dulled down to normal size, while someone else said that no matter what you feed you should expect to manually trim their teeth once every 6 months.
The active hunters like the GSP do grow out the teeth at a pretty fast rate. Not really sure if that is the case with trimming every 6 months but I had heard similar stories, so I picked the hairy puffer instead.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Jack Dempseys are more likely to reach 10" rather than 7" so a 40g may be pushing it in terms of size. If you can afford it, it may be better to go for an electric blue variant as these tend to be smaller on average.
As in 40 gallons would be too small? Yes I agree. I think I'm confused though I thought all jack Demspeys reached 7" so it's only the electric blues that do? Are these as common as normal jack dempsey? If not I might go with a blood parrot either will do or maybe the harry puffer as someone mentioned

robertjk7005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Piscataway NJ
Good GOD WHAT $79.99 FOR 1 ELECTRIC BLUE JD???!!! Is this a mistake or...

lol that is a little bit high but they are a pricey fish because of the breeding process it has to go thru to make an electric blue. if you look it up you will understand it is not as easy as just getting fish to breed it has to have the electric blue gene

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Change of plans boys apparently the blood parrot is really hardy to water conditions, so what say I throw one in during the SafeStart dosing? Or nahh

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store