440g System Setup

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Glad I could help spark some ideas. If I did this again, I would never have went cheap on the 1st sump and would have jumped straight to the bigger sump that was designed to be a sump. I also 100% recommend the Apex system even though it's meant for saltwater, or some other monitor/controller for the tank. It's so nice to be able to check the tanks parameters from anywhere on an app. I can also tell when there's leftover food in the tank or when the filters need to be changed in the sump because the ORP drops and Apex sends me a notification. Super helpful.
Have you tried simply taking a 40B and stuffing it with sponge - ala:

Reactions: Caperguy99

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
I had an idea last week to use a dog Kong chewy toy to feed the ray's to give them something to do for a while. I put a piece of frozen shrimp in the Kong and a rock in the ring to sink it. 1 of the rays has been trying to get the shrimp out of the Kong for the past 10 minutes. Seems like a good enrichment activity.
Kong.jpg

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
I had an idea last week to use a dog Kong chewy toy to feed the ray's to give them something to do for a while. I put a piece of frozen shrimp in the Kong and a rock in the ring to sink it. 1 of the rays has been trying to get the shrimp out of the Kong for the past 10 minutes. Seems like a good enrichment activity.
View attachment 1511483
Let us know if he 'learns' how to get it out so the next time it goes faster....

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
What are those BD's crossed with prettiest black and whites I have seen.
Thank you! I was told they are BD ti crossed with SWC, so they’re kind of a mix of a fewdifferent things like most black rays in the hobby these days.
Also, they just had their 1st pup yesterday which is pretty exciting, I didn’t even know the female was pregnant

IMG_3248.jpeg

IMG_0156.jpeg

IMG_0153.jpeg

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
The pup looks adorable didn't realize rays were easy to keep and breed in home aquarium. Sadly i don't think they will fit in with my other stocking.

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
The pup only lived for about 20 hours after birth unfortunately. It looked like it was born in good health with no defects and not premature. It was the 1st pup for the mom so I wasn’t sure if that had anything to do with it.

I never test my water because I do about 50-60% water change every week, and the fish always look healthy. But I decided to do one after the pup passed. Ammonia and nitrite were 0 but the nitrate was basically through the room, like dark red water in the test vile. So I have a nitrate problem.

I’ve been meaning to change the pump that feeds the Ultima filter for a couple months now and decided I’d open up the ultima and clean the media while I was changing the pump also. I had a Reeflo pump on the ultima but it’s a little noisy for my liking and I wanted a DC pump to cut down on energy costs (picked up a Red Dragon 3, 100w version).

My jaw dropped when I opened up the Ultima. It was absolutely packed to the brim with sand and fish poop. This is 100% the reason my nitrates were sky high.

So if you have an Ultima, I would recommend doing a deep clean every once and a while, completely disassembling it, like people do when they winterize it. Check out the pictures below of how full it was. The media are small black cylinders, similar to K1, you can see them in the pictures in the wheelbarrow. You can also see solid blocks of fish poop haha, it was unreal.

IMG_0482.jpeg

IMG_0483.jpeg

IMG_0484.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store