450 gallon filtration suggestions

bichir84

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2010
Tennessee
currently putting together my plans for a 72x60x24. Stock will be made up of gars/rays/aro/tig cat/bichirs (most likely). I've done sumps in the past but thinking of going canisters, i found the 2262's but they are pretty $$$ depending on how many i would need for this tank. i hear some good and some bad for fx6 so was wondering what you guys thought and what would be my best route and how many 2262's would i need? thanks in advance for your thoughts

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
WIth that stock I think you almost have to go with a sump. I don't think 2 2262's will cut it, and not sure it is worth putting 3 on there (becomes cost prohibitive). Sump will be your cheapest bet. If you want to go cannister then I would think of the Ultima IIs. Those look like they are becoming popular for extreme bioload but it will be pricey. A lot more than doing a sump.

Reactions: bichir84

bichir84

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2010
Tennessee
WIth that stock I think you almost have to go with a sump. I don't think 2 2262's will cut it, and not sure it is worth putting 3 on there (becomes cost prohibitive). Sump will be your cheapest bet. If you want to go cannister then I would think of the Ultima IIs. Those look like they are becoming popular for extreme bioload but it will be pricey. A lot more than doing a sump.
Thanks, I think sump is going to be my go to. I don't really want to go 3 2262's ($$$).

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I guess that means Ultima filters are out as well.
I use my 150 as a sump for my 450, two return pumps for redundancy and power heads in the tank to increase flow as well as airstones and an Fx6 for polishing

Reactions: bichir84
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store