Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Looks cool!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
So far it reeks of chlorine so I'm going to let it sit for a couple days then test it to see if there's any chlorine on the water.
You should use sodium thiosulte: "Obtain a clean one gallon jug. Dissolve the 500 grams of Sodium Thiosulfate in a large pitcher of lukewarm tap water. Stir until all the crystals are dissolved. Then transfer the solution with a funnel to the gallon jug. Top off the jug to make a full gallon of stock solution. •Add 2 drops of the stock solution per 1 gallon of the water to be treated. •One gallon can treat 37,850 gallons or more."

This will neutralize all chlorine residue. Dilution via water doesn't always rid all residue. I would even go as far as doubling the dose to be extra safe.

This stuff is also dirt cheap thru Kensfish http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/water-treatments/sodium-thiosulfate.html

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Id put a liner in overtop...not much for a catfish to poke an arm through a stock intex liner. The liner solves ur chlorine removal problem also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Id put a liner in overtop...not much for a catfish to poke an arm through a stock intex liner. The liner solves ur chlorine removal problem also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The liner is supposedly triple thick, but still doesn't mean I trust it. For now though, I'm on a budget since we have to get the wife's truck fixed. But once funds become available again, I'm going to get a liner definitely. First I need the filter though. :)

You should use sodium thiosulte: "Obtain a clean one gallon jug. Dissolve the 500 grams of Sodium Thiosulfate in a large pitcher of lukewarm tap water. Stir until all the crystals are dissolved. Then transfer the solution with a funnel to the gallon jug. Top off the jug to make a full gallon of stock solution. •Add 2 drops of the stock solution per 1 gallon of the water to be treated. •One gallon can treat 37,850 gallons or more."

This will neutralize all chlorine residue. Dilution via water doesn't always rid all residue. I would even go as far as doubling the dose to be extra safe.

This stuff is also dirt cheap thru Kensfish http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/water-treatments/sodium-thiosulfate.html
I even found it cheaper on amazon! I knew about this stuff previously but totally forgot until you mentioned it. Thanks!

And hell, i'll probably do a triple dose AND let it sit for a week.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good going!

I understand about the budget but Wednesday's 100% right. You are asking for big problems without a proper liner. And even at that, I'd not trust EDPM rubber but probably would try RPE - reinforced polyethylene, which is also 2x cheaper, 3x lighter and 10x more puncture resistant, e.g., http://www.everything-ponds.com/premium-grade-rpe-liner-for-large-ponds.html

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Totally agree I need one. But rpe isn't cheaper from what I found... I can get 40mil epdm 25'x25' for $390. Same size rpe is $500.

Everything else about it makes it worth it, but just thought I'd share
You need 24 mil, not 40 mil. I've bought four 24 mil (std grade) liners from them and they work quite well, for the outside applications. Roughly, RPE is $0.5 a sq ft whilst EDPM is roughly $0.75-$1.0 per sq ft.

One can opt for the 30 mil that is highly UV stable and that additional 6 mil layer added to the 24 mil plastic also greatly improves the water tightness and strength, at ~25% higher price.

BTW, I think there is no 40 mil EDPM. The industry standard is 45 mil. So I am comparing 24 mil RPE against 45 mil EDPM.

25'x25' for $390 is $0.62 per sq ft. That's a great price. I could not find such price recently. Where is that from?

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
You're totally right, 45 mil for epdm. I was just in a rush writing it. Check out pondliner.com the shipping will bring the price over $0.65/sqrt but it's still well under a buck.

Good to know I can get the thinner rpe though. Thanks for making this harder lol :p

Sent from my 831C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Quick update:

Finished filling today. And proof I'm an idiot. There's little grates on the side for where the filter hooks up. Yeah well smart person I am, forgot about those and didn't think about how they work. Well let me tell you.... they're holes with grates over them. This means when the water gets to them, THE WATER GOES OUT THEM!!! So now there's about 100 gallons of water on my lawn (not a big deal) but I had to scramble to plug them so I don't lose more water from the pool. My best solution? The filter it came with. It's not running, but I can only pray to every god the dog doesn't decide it's a chew toy and I wake up to another 500 gallons in the yard and an emptier pool. Oh also, all that water turned all the new dirt I put down to level everything in to mud. So now the far side has sunk in to the mud about 4". Not too happy about that since it's causing the frame to bend a bit because it's not a gradual slope, it just straight up drops 3" like half way around. So solution is going to be dig out the dry end and make it level again. Either that or I spend another $25 draining and filling it since I pay $5/1000gal. :/

Learn from my mistake! water goes through holes!

Maxime

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2011
Canada eh!
Easily fixing by putting a liner in the pool.

Or my using the holes to connect your filter/pump. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store