4'x3'x17" all acrylic build

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Glad that helped...the watery stuff is the #4 and #16 comes in the squeeze tube. I agree the #42 is probably ur best solution, it may be the most expensive tho. If ur super worried about a seam pop, u can tip and pour the inners with #40 or throw in some 1/2" square rod to beef it up (i do this to all my used tanks, but ive never actually owned a new on lol). Using 1/2" from the start for the initial bond will also work alot to ur benifit for longevity of the tank. Most acrylics i find are underbuilt and old so i opt to beef them up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
So now one could in theory use #4 with all 4 sides taped together and taped to the bottom. Then add the top. Followed up by #40 in each corner individually?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
So now one could in theory use #4 with all 4 sides taped together and taped to the bottom. Then add the top. Followed up by #40 in each corner individually?
Yes, that's exactly right, imo even if ur seams are absolutely terrible with the #4 (which I doubht lol) the #40 on the inside will make the tank last a lifetime. Atleast half of my used acrylics are like this now as they came only built with #4 and I added the #40 to "refurb" them. Some were made entirely with #40 on the seams and inside when I got them and that's what I try and replicate as a couple are over 20yrs old and still goin stong. #40 on the inside is overkill but I like beefing everything up and making them last so I don't run into problems down the road.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Another rad buiild!
Cool dim grow outs of most monster fish.
WHats the filtration plan?

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Another rad buiild!
Cool dim grow outs of most monster fish.
WHats the filtration plan?
Well considering I am tired of watching its future resident crash into a HOB overflow in its current tank, I am probably going to do an external overflow to a sump. I hate cleaning canister filters. Want simple and easy.

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
+1 for the 2 part stuff 40/42. Just dont use too much of it in a void or it will actually boil when polymerizing and cause bubbles. The trick is to keep the gap 4-6mm.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Looking good so far. Now I know who to call when I want to build that custom tank for the house.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store