50 Gallon (US) stocking help!

SeymourAndHisCat

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2014
Canada, BC
Hello, I have 5 Anglecious Botia and one Golden Severum in a 50 gallon tank (Along with two siamese algae eaters that im planning to return.) I was wondering if I could add one blue acara into my tank once i return the algae eaters. Any feedback would be appreciated as I can get my LFS to order in some Blue Acaras but they're expensive so I dont want to waste my money and their time. My filtration is a 55 gallon canister filter, (I bring my water into LFS once in awhile to get it tested and ammonia is always 0 nitrate & Nitrite are very low *I have plants)

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
What is the foot print of your 50 gallon? What filter are you using? Just because it says its rated for 55 gallons does not mean it will be adequate.

SeymourAndHisCat

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2014
Canada, BC
Its a Standard 50 gallon, Im not sure the dimentions but its really long compared to some 50 gallons ive seen online, and the filter is an API canister filter, i forgot what kind but it seems to be doing a great job so far. (severum is basically full grown and water is always clear and no flashing etc and when i test the water everything is perfect.)

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Just use the regular Severum and put in a comparable sized filter. What size is your 'full grown' sev? If he has not had other cichlid tankmates he may not take to a new fish.

SeymourAndHisCat

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2014
Canada, BC
Hes still growing alittle bit, but hes about 8.5" inches, I got him when he was a baby and hes honestly the most docile fish ever, I got him feeder fish to snack on as a treat one time and he schooled with them, i had to return them after 3 months -_-. He actually befriended a jewel cichlid I used to have (Temporarily was holding for a friend) so he has no issue with fish smaller then him , however he dislikes any fish that tries to be alpha. thats why im drawn to the acara, as its medium sized, mild temperment seems like a good combo for the severum. Although he is not territorial (for a cichlid), he does defend the spot he hides in agressively but will not chase or nip once they've left the little hidey hole.

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
Hes still growing alittle bit, but hes about 8.5" inches, I got him when he was a baby and hes honestly the most docile fish ever, I got him feeder fish to snack on as a treat one time and he schooled with them, i had to return them after 3 months -_-. He actually befriended a jewel cichlid I used to have (Temporarily was holding for a friend) so he has no issue with fish smaller then him , however he dislikes any fish that tries to be alpha. thats why im drawn to the acara, as its medium sized, mild temperment seems like a good combo for the severum. Although he is not territorial (for a cichlid), he does defend the spot he hides in agressively but will not chase or nip once they've left the little hidey hole.
You do no Severums get 12 inches and is not. So it's not fully grown

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, I have 5 Anglecious Botia and one Golden Severum in a 50 gallon tank (Along with two siamese algae eaters that im planning to return.) I was wondering if I could add one blue acara into my tank once i return the algae eaters. Any feedback would be appreciated as I can get my LFS to order in some Blue Acaras but they're expensive so I dont want to waste my money and their time. My filtration is a 55 gallon canister filter, (I bring my water into LFS once in awhile to get it tested and ammonia is always 0 nitrate & Nitrite are very low *I have plants)
Your nitrite level should be zero, maybe you ment nitrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store