500 Gallon all glass DIY

slimstickman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Ohio-USA
Update;

Job thing didn't happen, glass cutting has been delayed due to the shop being super busy here lately. I'm guessing with close to 800 views and no one saying "NO STOP! Don't do it" that I might just be ok with my idea. Hoping to cut the tank in the next few days as the holiday put a small dip in our sales.

I have found a local fab shop that will do my drilling for $20 a hole. I'm thinking three 1.5" drains for an overflow setup. Looking like I might do a modified herbie overflow with an extra emergency tube, and at the very least the 3 holes will allow for some modifications if needed or decide to go with the bean animal or another variation.

The main trouble I'm running into right now in the planning stages is what the tank will ultimately be used for, wife wants to go full on Reef tank and I'm leaning more towards something easier since it'll be my responsibility.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Saltwater is a breeze imo...reefs are a bit more work, but once everything is set up and running they are far more sustainable and require less matinence than large freshwater setups ime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Reefs in particular are almost self sustaining if set up right...the initial set up and equipment is worse and more $$$ but far worth it. Running 26 tanks in my home right now, my 8 salt tanks give me a breather on matinence by leaps and bounds. Id recommend FOWLR to get started then u can progress and add corals later on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
...wife wants to go full on Reef tank...
You've got a good wife. Does she have a sister? (kidding)

I paid $250 for my 150g reef tank and it's stand. I'm now way over ten grand for every thing else I bought for it. They tend to be money pits, but still they are very rewarding.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
By the way, there is a sticky thread for drilling glass. The only difference in drilling thick glass is it takes longer and it can become painfully boring. For the diamond bit, go on eBay and look for the seller 'THK Diamond Tools' from Hong Kong. I think it was $15 shipped for the bit for 1.5" bulkheads.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Here's that thread:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?42645-Drilling-Tanks

I actually prefer to drill the panes prior to tank assembly (when possible). I lay the pane in the front yard and run the garden hose at a little more than a trickle while drilling.

Make sure the hole is a minimum of one diameter from the glass edge or another hole. That shouldn't be a problem because you'll need to plan for the stand's outer thickness and the bulkhead's nut.

slimstickman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Ohio-USA
I'm doing the holes in the sides of the tank, waiting to send them out for drilling until after next check. It'll be done on a rig that's specifically made for drilling glass. The side pieces are cut and hopefully we'll have a lull tomorrow so I can get them through the polish machine. Just seeing the sides cut out really drove the point home of just how far down the rabbit hole I'm about to go. Hopefully I don't end up $10k deep, but, I know from previous experience with planted freshwater tanks just how quickly the extras add up.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has chimed in on this thread and "tip my hat" to the whole community for making such a huge resource of information possible. It's already proven invaluable in the planning stages and I'm sure it'll be a necessary part of the first few months or years after I get this monster up and running.

Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store