500 Gallon Journal Input Accepted

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Sorry....but I'm not a sump person and do not like them at all. I've had several over the last 35+ years of the hobby and this is a dream tank for me and I wanted to go with what I like if that makes sense.

Sent from my XT1031 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Not a sump fan either. Biggest gripe is the amount of space they take up...may as well just have another tank there.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
What stock are you going with? Could be a great ray tank.

NYCheken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2014
Flushing, NY
wow is all I can say!! I went to log in to this site for more feedbacks as I'm also trying to come back to the hobby after quite a few years off. I closed on my new house a couple weeks back and have room for a big tank now. I was thinking about 300 gallon or so but after checking that website, that 500 gallon looks pretty damn good right now for its price.

I was originally checking on glasscage as I bought a 240 gallon a while back but didn't like the hassle of having to rent a truck/hire a couple guys to pick up the tank. it seems like the deliver to the door and the shipping is free for orders over $1,500?

I just have a few questions for the OP - the weight on that tank with water seems to be off on the calculation given on that site - was curious if you did the math on the approximate weight etc? It seems like they are reputable based on their website description but curious how you stumble upon that site? Lastly, are you building your own stand/canopy or have another source for cheaper pricing? The pricing on the site for the stand seems to be quite crazy..

t

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Jordy wondering why didn't u get 3 same canister filters? :/
I already had the eheim from my old 350 I just sold about 5 months ago and will be biological and the fx6 seems to do well with mechanical along with the ac's. The wavemakers will be used to direct waste to intakes since the ac's will break water surface for oxygen.

I'll answer more when I get home and I can multi-quote.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
wow is all I can say!! I went to log in to this site for more feedbacks as I'm also trying to come back to the hobby after quite a few years off. I closed on my new house a couple weeks back and have room for a big tank now. I was thinking about 300 gallon or so but after checking that website, that 500 gallon looks pretty damn good right now for its price.

I was originally checking on glasscage as I bought a 240 gallon a while back but didn't like the hassle of having to rent a truck/hire a couple guys to pick up the tank. it seems like the deliver to the door and the shipping is free for orders over $1,500?

I just have a few questions for the OP - the weight on that tank with water seems to be off on the calculation given on that site - was curious if you did the math on the approximate weight etc? It seems like they are reputable based on their website description but curious how you stumble upon that site? Lastly, are you building your own stand/canopy or have another source for cheaper pricing? The pricing on the site for the stand seems to be quite crazy..
t
++
Yes the weight is off and I calculate with basically 10 lbs per gallon + tank+substrate/rocks+stand/canopy. I came upon the site from some other users on other sites and facebook and they also are a break off from another very reputable company. Did a lot of research before I went with them and they were quick to get back to me and talked to them on phone several times and answered any question I asked. Another thing I liked is that they wanted to build what "I" wanted and not suggestive sale or try to push things on me like others did when I talked to them. They also don't do their frame in the plastic that most manufactures use and actually use a metal type that prevents cracking/rust, etc... This tank has a safety rating of 3.8 and 2.8 is the acceptable now a days by the industry.

Yes their stand/canopy's are a high in my book (probably where they make the money besides add on like drilled holes, etc...) and I will be making mine own and posting the build in this thread as I make them. I've built several over the past 5 years or so and feel very confident that I can make this one and will take my time to make it look great.

I'm really debating on another fx6, however i'm going to wait until I get it up and see the flow and how it because there will be a lot of movement in this tank.

As for stock, I know I will have the following:

Chocolate Cichid
Flagtail
Schools of tetra/barbs
Schools of loach/cory

I know that most would turn this into a ray/aro or something like that style tank, however I don't really go for that stuff. Then the question is, "why you need such a large tank?" I've seen some large 300+ tanks with few large cichlids that are not over all aggressive especially in such a large tank and have schools of tetra/barbs going around is just a site to see.

This is the tank I've always wanted in being in the hobby all these years and I really don't want larger because of moving with my work. Can't wait to start building the stand and shelves/canopy over the next few weeks.

Keep the questions/suggestions coming, I love the input.

NYCheken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2014
Flushing, NY
++
Yes the weight is off and I calculate with basically 10 lbs per gallon + tank+substrate/rocks+stand/canopy. I came upon the site from some other users on other sites and facebook and they also are a break off from another very reputable company. Did a lot of research before I went with them and they were quick to get back to me and talked to them on phone several times and answered any question I asked. Another thing I liked is that they wanted to build what "I" wanted and not suggestive sale or try to push things on me like others did when I talked to them. They also don't do their frame in the plastic that most manufactures use and actually use a metal type that prevents cracking/rust, etc... This tank has a safety rating of 3.8 and 2.8 is the acceptable now a days by the industry.

Yes their stand/canopy's are a high in my book (probably where they make the money besides add on like drilled holes, etc...) and I will be making mine own and posting the build in this thread as I make them. I've built several over the past 5 years or so and feel very confident that I can make this one and will take my time to make it look great.

I'm really debating on another fx6, however i'm going to wait until I get it up and see the flow and how it because there will be a lot of movement in this tank.

As for stock, I know I will have the following:

Chocolate Cichid
Flagtail
Schools of tetra/barbs
Schools of loach/cory

I know that most would turn this into a ray/aro or something like that style tank, however I don't really go for that stuff. Then the question is, "why you need such a large tank?" I've seen some large 300+ tanks with few large cichlids that are not over all aggressive especially in such a large tank and have schools of tetra/barbs going around is just a site to see.

This is the tank I've always wanted in being in the hobby all these years and I really don't want larger because of moving with my work. Can't wait to start building the stand and shelves/canopy over the next few weeks.

Keep the questions/suggestions coming, I love the input.
that would be awesome and I'm definitely looking forward to your stand/canopy suggestions. I have a contractor who will be doing some renovation work and perhaps can get a quote from them for a similar setup. We can do a twin setup from NC to NY lol. I haven't decided if any drilling but I would be too scared to do any drilling myself or anyone else other than them for the setup. Btw I have read about ppl putting styrofoam to Lvl out big tanks etc? How's that with a tank this size?

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
that would be awesome and I'm definitely looking forward to your stand/canopy suggestions. I have a contractor who will be doing some renovation work and perhaps can get a quote from them for a similar setup. We can do a twin setup from NC to NY lol. I haven't decided if any drilling but I would be too scared to do any drilling myself or anyone else other than them for the setup. Btw I have read about ppl putting styrofoam to Lvl out big tanks etc? How's that with a tank this size?
Styrofoam should not be used to level a tank and is used mostly for acrylic tanks because their bottoms must be on flat surface. The edges are most important on glass, however you can put it on Styrofoam to try and help protect against slight imperfections some might make on a home made stand. Its up to you if you use it or not and I don't know if I will or not yet.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I personally applaud your choice in stock, even though i would have personally chosen other small fishes with exception to the tetras... Its good to see a large tank with small fishes... Can i ask is it going to be planted at all? I take it a lot of rocks and driftwood will be used as well?

But back to the large tank small fishes, having seen large (10x3x4) fishtanks stocked with small fishes and amazing aquascapes at store here has always made me want to try something similar... Except no space to place such a large tank...

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
I personally applaud your choice in stock, even though i would have personally chosen other small fishes with exception to the tetras... Its good to see a large tank with small fishes... Can i ask is it going to be planted at all? I take it a lot of rocks and driftwood will be used as well?

But back to the large tank small fishes, having seen large (10x3x4) fishtanks stocked with small fishes and amazing aquascapes at store here has always made me want to try something similar... Except no space to place such a large tank...
If I do some plants it will be low light like anubia, java fern and maybe a few swords however I haven't decided yet. Yes on the driftwood and rocks though because I already have them and ready to go. The 3D background works great with the driftwood and I don't want to many plants to cover that up as if I just had a black background I wouldn't care as much if that makes sense.

The stock list might grow some, however nothing major but maybe more groups. I want the tank to be aesthetically pleasing to look at with lots of movement and not have to worry about who might kill who and the footprint of this tank should help with that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store