$500 LFS credit - what to buy?

jschall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2009
Chico, California
I would save the credit for buying fish, and then buy equipment online (where the selection is better anyway) for 20-40% less money with free shipping like I always do.

Tanks themselves, however, are also a good option. They're hard to buy online. They can often be obtained from craigslist on the cheap though.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
lol.. don't run out and buy the first thing all excited and regret it.. my husband made me wait to use a good chunck of store credit for tradeing in some fish. Bless him for it.. It gave me some time to sit down and go "Okay what do I really want? that I normally wouldn't justify spending my own money for?"

personally I stocked up on frozen food, and bought a small group of hard to find shrimp for my planted tank.

I agree w/ Jschall.. Use it for livestock ect... you can get equipment almost dirt cheap online.. and used tanks for a fraction of what the LFS sells them for. Or as suggested, use it for food, bulb replacements, ect. Maybe upgrade a peice of equpiment on your current set-up. Or save the giftcard for when you move.

What we'de do shouldn't really influance you but give you ideas. Ultimately do what's going to bring you the most enjoyment.

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
jschall;5041728; said:
I would save the credit for buying fish, and then buy equipment online (where the selection is better anyway) for 20-40% less money with free shipping like I always do.

Tanks themselves, however, are also a good option. They're hard to buy online. They can often be obtained from craigslist on the cheap though.
exactly what i thought the second i saw this thread

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
wait for $1 per gallon sales, then go MONSTER!

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Etan;5040721; said:
I've thought about putting the money towards a 180, but I'm going to be moving into a house in about a year. Maybe two more 40 breeders or a 40 and a 55 or some other combination of small/medium size tanks.
Going from 40-50g tanks to a 180 is a pretty big step. I am going from a 120g to 210g and feel a bit overwhelmed as I look at the size of my new FX5 and the 36w UV that this is going into the new tank. Have you had large tanks before? You might want to try a 75/90g or a 125g. This would be a pretty nice step toward a BIG tank in the future. You might even be able to get a complete tank and stand set up for your money.

Now with that being said I would shoot for the 180g! :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store