530 gallon pond stocking ideas.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Hi all, making a 530 gallon (2000l) pond and would like to know what would be some good fish to add.
The fish would have to be able to cope with Sydney winters (7 degrees Celsius) and be able to coexist with my Australian bass.
Current stocking is 1 Australian bass, 1 Tandanus catfish and 2 Golden or Silver perch.
Thanks,

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Could do the usual koi or goldfish. Wikipedia says Sydney's climate is subtropical, which is the climate they come from (and of course they are made for ponds).

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Could do the usual koi or goldfish. Wikipedia says Sydney's climate is subtropical, which is the climate they come from (and of course they are made for ponds).
I’d rather not do koi or goldfish, but more unique things.
I’m not sure if i could keep thing such as tinfoil barbs or not.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Tinfoil barbs would be killed by 7 degrees. Closest thing to that I can think of that could handle 7 degrees is some kind of small mahseer, which I honestly know diddly squat about other than they're essentially big, cool water-loving barbs.

You could also give rosy barbs a try if you think they're too small for everything else to eat. They come from mountains too, I think.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Ok I’ve had a chat with some Fish people in my area and i have created a list so far.
1. Australian Bass
1. Tandanus Catfish
2. Silver perch
2. Golden perch.
12. Rosy barbs
2. Siamese algae eaters (may be too cold have been told it has been done successfully)
3. Tinfoil barbs (may be too cold have been told it has been done successfully)
1. Koi carp (Sister insisted)
1. Longfin eel
6. Crimson spotted rainbows (i already keep these outside)

Is sydney to cold to have Rio Grande Perch outside?

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
European perch? I have rosy barbs outside, but they aren’t very interesting.
I chose rosy barbs for a small schooling fish to have a lot of. I chose 12 to start with just a few.
I’m not sure on legality of European perch or availability. Redfin perch are invasive here.
And Loachman, if legal Weatherloaches will be added.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
And Loachman, if legal Weatherloaches will be added.
Australia banned them. If they weren't banned, they would be my immediate first suggestion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store