540 filtration opinions

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
It's the sand.......

That stuff takes forever before water is clear. I have several tanks here with it.......

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I believe I also have some diatoms growing on my driftwood. After putting my power head in I can see it blowing around on the wood. This in time will settle itself right? Is anyone drawing from the bottom of their tank or does most everyone surface skim?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I try to draw the opposite of where all the food goes. My big tank is primarily for rays so surface skim, some of my grow out tanks get lots of floating food, in this case I'll pull from a few inches off the bottom.

I have a few reef ready all glass tanks that have built in overflows that draw from low, mid, and skim.

My fear in a monster tank is when you monster feed it creates a giant slick of crap on the surface. IF not surface skimming I imagine this could become really ugly.

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I think my overflow box is too big. I'm moving a lot of water but there isn't a lot of draw. My overflow is 4' across. Running 2-2" and 2-1 1/2" overflows in it. What if I did away with the overflow, still pulled the top with the 2" and turn down the 1 1/2" to draw a few inches off the bottom? Do you have sand or bare bottom DB? This is another issue I'm wrestling with. Trying to clean 36 sq/ft of sand! If I'm pulling from the bottom and have power heads pushing that way I should suck up the poo? I just feel that there isn't enough movement throughout the entire tank. Do you have any pictures of your returns and how you stepped them from 1 1/2" to the multiple 3/4"?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store