55 Gal Peacock Cichlid tank Problem

Cricket81321

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2011
Cortez,Co
Hey new to this site. Sorry For posting my question on other threads. Had my 55 gal peacock tank up for four weeks before adding any fish. Water priameters were fine. Water temp is 78 degrees have a ph of 8.0. Had no nitrates, ammonia,or nitrites. Seven days ago had a slight spike in ammonia,nitrates and nitrites. Started the tank with cichlid chemistry,cycle and prime.I run a marine land bio wheel backpack filter, and undergravel filter with power head. I have ten peacock cichlids. Still can not get levels to drop. I have marble slate forming rock formations one piece of african drift wood and four fake plants. Any ideas? And thank you everyone for your input

Cricket81321

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2011
Cortez,Co
Just done another 25% water change last night will wait and see also found a plant bulb that died no more live plants ill stick with fake ones

Alton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2011
Warren, Pa
Did you check if your tapwater has high readings? I would be guessing that bulb was the problem and now you have it removed see if things go back to normal. I would keep doing the waterchanges every other day until you get it under control. If you have another tank try using the filters from that tank in the new one. Another trick I have done is clean all the algae off the glass of a current cycled tank and pull 5 gallons of water out, Should have a green color to the water. Put that into your new tank and it will kick start the algae to take care of the nitrates and ammonia. I even have added plant nourishment after adding the algae, it will make it grow fast and you have to stay on top off the cleaning the glass then too.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Another trick I have done is clean all the algae off the glass of a current cycled tank and pull 5 gallons of water out, Should have a green color to the water. Put that into your new tank and it will kick start the algae to take care of the nitrates and ammonia. I even have added plant nourishment after adding the algae, it will make it grow fast and you have to stay on top off the cleaning the glass then too.
Why would you want to add algae to a tank and create more problems? Why not just add some aquarium plants to use up the nutrients.

Cricket81321

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2011
Cortez,Co
Well tap is not high its actually about 7.5 Ph and doesn't show any ammonia. Nitrate or nitrite on the readings and after taking out that plant bulb it has started to drop and two of my female are now releasing newly hatched fry. Thank you all for your help will post pictures soon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store