55 Gal tank help

Browser

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Minnesota
Hello!
I am a newbie at keeping fish, and would like to ask for suggestions of fish for a 55 gallon tank that i have. I'm not a fan of the small guppy sized fish i see at Wal-Mart/Petco though ( i think they're called neon tetras ) and would like some medium sized fish :)

My friend recommended getting an Oscar, but after doing some reading around, i read that a 55 gallon tank is too small, even for one Oscar. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i like the look of these fish so having 2-3 of these would be nice

Keep in mind that I would like to keep a "Pleco" in there, as i like the look of these fish too and my friend said they eat algae which would keep the tank cleaner.

I live in Minnesota, so if there are any laws about keeping a certain type of fish, i don't want to be breaking any laws or anything so it would be nice if someone could check up on that for me that would be nice also! ( I checked up on it and couldn't find anything )

Thanks alot for reading, and hopefully someone can help me find some interesting fish :D

P.S How long should i "Cycle" my tank before putting fish in? some guides say 1-2 days while some guides say 1 full week

drlower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
pittsburgh
cycling could take weeks. there is a ton of info on fishless cycling here. dont rush it or you will just end up with dead fish. you could probably go with african malawies. the are more colorful and max out at 3-4 inches. you made a great first step by seeking advice before stocking the tank. dont be afraid to seek help and you will have alot of success.

drlower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
pittsburgh
malawies are african. they are very colorful almost like marine fish. they are very aggressive like oscars and other south american cichlids. they are common at most lfs as well as petco and pet smart. there are other south americans like oscars that dont grow as large also.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
If you do go with a pleco, try to find a bristlenose or clown pleco or one of the other smaller species. These will end up somewhere around 3-6". A common pleco will also be too large for a 55 gallon getting upwards of 12"

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
You will want to invest in a liquid dropper test kit. API makes a nice freshwater master test kit that has everything you need to get started. You can buy plain ammonia from ACE hardware (in the cleaning supplies section) to have an ammonia source for fishless cycling.

As for fish, Don't overlook fancy goldfish, they are poop machines, and you could only keep maybe 3 in there, but they are really nice to look at, and are quite personable. Mine beg for food, and give me "goldfish kisses" when I put my arm in the tank. They are a lot like puppies, Ibelieve and have heard from many other enthusiasts. If you wanted to keep common goldfish, 2 would be the max you could keep in a 55, and that would likely be too small, just because it is so narrow.

They can be heartbreaking, and are a lot of work, so if you want something easier, go with the African cichlids as previously suggested. Either way, you will need a test kit. Don't waste your money with the test strips, they are inaccurate and cost more per individual test. You will be testing every day, and sometimes multiple times a day, so just invest the money for a liquid dropper test kit. If you don't mind ordering online, you can find one for $25 plus shipping. Also, I recommend using Prime as a dechlorinator. This will not only save money in the long run, but also help you should something happen to your beneficial bacteria while you have fish. This is not an excuse to try to cycle your tank with fish in it.

In case you are wondering exactly what "cycling your tank" means, here is a brief description (EDIT:: and by brief, I mean long-ish.)

When fish eat, they also poop (simple enough right?) Well, that poop eventually turns into a waste product called ammonia. Ammonia is very toxic to fish and causes the fish to be burned form the chemicals. So, if you have ammonia in your water, what do you do to save your fish from burns?

The first step of the cycling process is colonizing your filter with a type of bacteria that transform ammonia into nitrIte. NitrIte is also very toxic to fish. It competes in the gills for oxygen, and causes the fish to have blood poisoning (aka brown blood disease) and causes the fish to stress and/or die. Now, you have this problem of nitrItes in your water...what do you do?

The second step in the cycling process is colonizing your filter with another type of bacteria that uses the nitrItes and converts them into a less toxic form, called nitrAtes. NitrAtes will not do as much damage to your fish as the other two forms (ammonia and nitrIte) but as the levels increase, prolonged exposure to higher levels of nitrAtes can cause organ failure, stress, succumbing to illness or infection and ultimately death. So...you have these nitrAtes building up in your tank, what do you do to get rid of them, and at what level should you be concerned?

Once nitrAtes reach a level of about 20, I do a 50% water change. The absolute highest you want your nitrAtes to ever reach to avoid any possible side-effects is 40. You will want to continue to test your water periodically for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAtes to make sure everything is working well.

You will know your tank has fully cycled and is ready for fish, when your test readings read 0-ammonia, 0-nitrIte and the appropriate number of nitrAtes. After fishless cycling, it is common for nitrAtes to be very high, and you will likely need to do quite a few water changes before the tank is ready for the fish.

Once your tank is cycled, and you have lowered the nitrAtes to the lower level, you can start by adding a small fish or two to see how things go. Give it a couple of weeks, then you can slowly increase your stocking level. (This also depends on what "stock-load" you used when preparing your tank in the amount of ammonia you use to cycle your tank, but I am too tired to get all into that, I believe there is a great article/post here on MFK, if you just search for it.)

It is highly recommended to have a quarantine tank set up for any additional fish you may want to add to your tank. Some people don't do this, and I on occasion haven't...the one time I cut it short, my fish got infected, so that risk is up for you to decide.

I know it may seem a bit overwhelming, but it is also very rewarding when you do it right, and don't lose any fish because you didn't make them suffer through the cycling process/high levels of toxins in the water. It will also save you a lot of money in the long run.

Browser

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Minnesota
Alright! thanks for the help! I'll be sure keep you guys updated on my fishtank
once i get a working camera

would wal-mart or petco sell the liquid dropper test kits? is there a brand that i should look out for? I can't buy online because i don't own a credit card/debit card

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
Petco/Petsmart will have the test kits. They run about $30-$35. As Raychel stated, API has a complete kit.

Browser

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Minnesota
800 tests? for 30 dollars? Thanks alot, that would last 2 years with one fish tank right? haha since i only need to test the water once a day right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store