55 gallon barrel moving bed filter building?

rke

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2016
I'm sure there are more people on here that know more then I do and have more experience setting up 55 gallon barrels as a moving bed filter system!!!! Does anyone know what the push in connection things are called where you put a rubber gasket between the barrel and the pvc piping. I'm trying to order some and have no idea how or what there called? Can someone please help me so I don't have to jerry rig it with just silicone like I originally planned? Please help me figure out what is the best way to connect the 3 barrels thanks!!!!

rke

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2016
I'm using 3" pvc piping with a rubber gasket in the middle so I can separate it when needed for cleaning ect.... fyi planning on running them under my stand system with 1 moving bed filter, 1 drip system with the pump below the drip, also running a separate pvc system with an extra 55 gallon barrel for overflowing into in the case of a power outage. To allow the tank to drain before the over flow cuts it off! Hope this helps someone to help me understand what I need to buy for the interconnections thanks!!!!!!!

rke

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2016
I'm talking about a sealed system that these guys use that are similar to a slip system but is also like a bulkhead but not its like a gasket I've seen guys using that you just push your pvc through to connect them no bulkhead needed style. I know what a bulkhead is this is something different never seen them on much but a pond filter really so maybe they are unsealed?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I'm talking about a sealed system that these guys use that are similar to a slip system but is also like a bulkhead but not its like a gasket I've seen guys using that you just push your pvc through to connect them no bulkhead needed style. I know what a bulkhead is this is something different never seen them on much but a pond filter really so maybe they are unsealed?
Like I posted either a bulkhead or a uniseal so a uniseal is what you're looking for. Google uniseal and see if that's what is right for you

rke

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2016
Is a uniseal reliable and leak free cause the barrels will be in my home ???

rke

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2016
So you thing bulkheads with union fittings in the middle of um would be best then? I was thinking that too but was trying to stay cheaper then 3" bulkheads those are $$s kinda sucks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store