55 gallon vs 2 floor

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
You have a bathtub on the second floor? It will be fine, seriously wood is strong, have you seen the flimsy crap that holds the tank up in the form of a stand?

nohandslook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes you are fine.

Weight of 1 US Gallon of water = AROUND 8lbs.

55 x 8 = 440lbs + weight of your (tank empty) lets say, 60(not so sure)? 500 lbs

Could compare this to 3 adults laying on a bed.

Plus wood is VERY STRONG, especially in a house. I wouldn't worry one bit.

Electric45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
United states
ok you guys gotta think about the PSI. your just saying large objects that spread out weight over a big area. a tank is over a smallr area, hence a higher psi. But i bet its fine.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Electric45;3638249; said:
ok you guys gotta think about the PSI. your just saying large objects that spread out weight over a big area. a tank is over a smallr area, hence a higher psi. But i bet its fine.
PSI is pound per square inch, this would be for puncture resilience. of the top of my head I believe that floors are designed for around 300psi.

For load rating you need to look at PSF pounds per square foot. Floor are designed to carry a load of 40 psf and that is accumulative..

The 55g will be fine regardless of which way the joists are running.

iplaylacrosse6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2009
North Carolina
Ive had a 125 on the third floor of my house for 8-9 years now, never a problem. Just put it next to a sink so you can have an easier time with WC. haha its a pain having to run the hose up and down the stairs all the time.

Electric45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
United states
I can confirm that Bderick is correct in his statement. I am currently an Construction Student and we have just recently covered normal PSF for a floor and it is 40.

Stump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2008
Bichir Alley
I live in an old house, have my 55g upstairs, and haven't really worried about it.

I was just like you before setting it up. I was worried my old house's floors wouldn't be able to hold the weight, so I asked my father (who is a sub-contractor/carpenter) whether having a 55g upstairs would be safe... He said as long as the tank is running perpendicular to the floor joists, and is placed up against a wall there really shouldn't be a problem.

I say go for it. I am about as paranoid a person as anyone as far as that stuff goes, so make of it what you will.

Hope that helped.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
kallmond;3634402; said:
My bed weights at least 200 lbs, and has had 4 people in it without falling through the floor...

<grin>
LOL . . . He kind of slipped this one there . . .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store