55g tank?

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
How many, if more than one, senegalus can I put in a 55g tank, and what are my chances with breeding? I want to know because I want something that's interesting and I'll be able to breed in the tank.

Thank you,
Steve

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
about 4 i'd guess. ask fishdance or anne about breeding them, but idk if the "average" person could breed senegals to easily.

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
I'd say about 3 or 4. But someone else on these forum can tell you more about what is possible and not possible

rob0521

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
south florida
There very flexible, so I agree with everyone else, about 4

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
What else is going in the tank?

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
Nothing. Just a BUNCH of plants. My grandmother wants a nice pretty tank, since she is the one helping me with all my fish and reptile projects. We found a website where we can send them an email about what we're putting in the tank and what we want the tank to look like(i.e. a biotype), and they can give(sell) us plants and "blueprints" for where to put the plants and how to care for them, so I'm planning on making with African plants and a sand bottom.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Cool, heres the problem anymore than a pair of senegals and you would be wasting your time trying to breed them.They are horrid parents and display no parental care in fact they seem to find the eggs tasty so they need to be seperated from the eggs as soon as possible.Which means you'll need at least 2 tanks1 for the parents and another for the fry-Anne

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
Do you think some would survive with all the plants? I can add some caves and stuff too. I'm not really planning for this to be a large-scale breed-and-sell type of deal, just a home project. How should I remove the eggs, if I decide I want to? Or should I move the parents to a separate tank for a few days for breeding? Would a 10g work for this?

Sorry if I'm not thinking logical for these guys. I'm completely new at bichirs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store