560 GALLON 96x48x28 sump build

freshfishin727

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2011
St Louis
So I really hope someone could give me some insight , I came across a deal for a dream tank that I couldn't pass up and we'll I need a sump now, and we all know it's cheaper to get when you know what you're exactly looking for. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Future thanks.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Sweet tank. Scour craigslist in your local area and try to find a used sump and or tank to convert to a sump. If budget is not an issue then you can do whatever you like. I used 120 or 180 gallon would be ideal but you can get away with much smaller is setup correctly.

freshfishin727

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2011
St Louis
Sweet tank. Scour craigslist in your local area and try to find a used sump and or tank to convert to a sump. If budget is not an issue then you can do whatever you like. I used 120 or 180 gallon would be ideal but you can get away with much smaller is setup correctly.
So I should just use my 200 acrylic tank that I'm upgrading from hahah. What about the blue rubbermaid containers? I could fit a Berlin sock and some k1 media in it.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
So I should just use my 200 acrylic tank that I'm upgrading from hahah. What about the blue rubbermaid containers? I could fit a Berlin sock and some k1 media in it.
Some swear by them but I am not a fan of the rubbermaid or any thin plastic tubs/bins. They stretch, distort and get brittle over time. Disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. Acrylic, glass, plywood, fiberglass etc... are all far superior materials to construct a sump with. I think your 200 would make an awesome sump but you can get away with much smaller and keep your 200.

What are your goals (filter socks, ceramic media, moving bed etc...) for the sump? That will help us narrow down suggestions from there.

freshfishin727

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2011
St Louis
Some swear by them but I am not a fan of the rubbermaid or any thin plastic tubs/bins. They stretch, distort and get brittle over time. Disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. Acrylic, glass, plywood, fiberglass etc... are all far superior materials to construct a sump with. I think your 200 would make an awesome sump but you can get away with much smaller and keep your 200.

What are your goals (filter socks, ceramic media, moving bed etc...) for the sump? That will help us narrow down suggestions from there.

I'm buying a 48x96x1×2 sheet of acrylic for 260 and gonna build a k1 reactor with Berlin socks as my mechanical filtration

Bandit87

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
I know of a guy who has tanks that size and just runs a few canisters. GuapoteMel rings a bell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store