600 Gallon Tank

thatoldguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
Michigan, USA
Hello all.

I bought 600 gallon tank about a year and a half ago. The tank has 1/2 tempered glass (10x2.5 and 4X2.5) and a floating bottom. Along the seams there is a strip of 1/4 plate, making the tank 3/4 at the seam. The bottom of the tank has four 4x3 plates, so there is three seams on the bottom (five if you count the outside seams.) There are two braces along the top (again 1/2 inch glass).

This is how the original owner had it made, I added four pieces of aluminum angle (three inch) to support the corners, and also had a top fram made.

I've used about 25 tubes of caulk (per owner's advice).

Guess what....it leaks! (Good thing it is in the basement). Is there another kind of adhesive I could use? Buying tubes of silicone is getting to be costly (and annoying).

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I would strip it and start over. Silicone only seals, and won't seal to old silicone. It wont hold it together. You shouldn't need anywhere close to 25 tubes.

thatoldguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
Michigan, USA
rallysman;997658; said:
I would strip it and start over. Silicone only seals, and won't seal to old silicone. It wont hold it together. You shouldn't need anywhere close to 25 tubes.
Yup, that thought has been sticking in my mind....just don't want to go through that. Then again, I don't need 400 gallons of water on my basement floor either.....oh well. it all takes time and money....

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
If you can pinpoint where the leak is, I would just reseal the area with a little new silicon. If you look carefully you might be able to see some air bubbles which the water is using to get out. If your really unlucky, the whole glue seal is coming away which means the glass wasnt cleaned well before being siliconed.

If its just air bubbles, cut and clean away the old silicon a couple of centimeters around the leak zone. Use some methalated spirits to clean and dry the glass before re-gluing. If you really want to make sure, you could add a small glass strip to help seal.

If its the whole seal, I would remove the 1/4 strips, clean and redo. If your unsure where the leak is coming from, put some dry newspaper underneath and watch carefully as you fill. That should give you a good idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store