600g DIY plywood build

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Nice build! I love how "simple" your build is compared to the over kill projects we see a lot of. To solve your sump flow balancing issue and still get 100% flow you will need to connect your sumps with a balance pipe or water bridge. Either drill the sumps or you can use another King of DIY method and just run a U shape piece of pvc between the tanks. I just had to figure out the same issue with one of my tanks. Here is the video where he shows the U method. Click to 1:00 when he starts the explanation.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thanks for the advice, I would like to say it is a simple as it seems, but there has been a lot of trial and error going into finishing the project. I actually have the sumps both drilled and connected, and I used a valve to help control flow. I considered doing a u-pipe like shown in the video you posted, but decided not to because I did not want to risk the siphon breaking and ending up with a huge mess on the floor.

Reactions: MASTERTANKER

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
Thanks for the advice, I would like to say it is a simple as it seems, but there has been a lot of trial and error going into finishing the project. I actually have the sumps both drilled and connected, and I used a valve to help control flow. I considered doing a u-pipe like shown in the video you posted, but decided not to because I did not want to risk the siphon breaking and ending up with a huge mess on the floor.
Tried to help. I actually just re-read through this as I am currently putting the pieces together for my own build and saw that you mentioned connecting the 55g sumps in one of your early posting. My apologies. I do have a couple quick questions. When you applied the first coat of pond armor did you thin it out at all or just mix and go? Do think that if you redid the build and didn't use any fiberglass the tank would still be sound? The only part I don't look forward to doing is installing fiberglass. I've always thought that it would be best put to use on the exterior of the tank body instead of in it.

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Tried to help. I actually just re-read through this as I am currently putting the pieces together for my own build and saw that you mentioned connecting the 55g sumps in one of your early posting. My apologies. I do have a couple quick questions. When you applied the first coat of pond armor did you thin it out at all or just mix and go? Do think that if you redid the build and didn't use any fiberglass the tank would still be sound? The only part I don't look forward to doing is installing fiberglass. I've always thought that it would be best put to use on the exterior of the tank body instead of in it.
Haha no need to apologize, advise is always helpful! I thinned the pond armor based on the instructions on the can, although I felt as if it set much faster because of the added thinner. The pond armor was actually much harder to work with then most guides made it seem, so I would recommend using small amounts until you are comfortable with it. As for the fiberglass, that was easily the worst part of the build for me. It was a mess with the pond armor, and honestly I don't feel like it helped the strength of the tank. After seeing how strong the plywood is and having absolutely no bowing, I think the epoxy itself would be fine, and fiberglass is just more hassle than it's worth.

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Well the sumps that I have connected under the tank just don't seem to be working out for me. Not only are they a total pain to clean and work on due to the low clearance, but I am also having problems getting the k1 to "boil" properly. I figure that now is a good time to rethink them. So after careful consideration I am going to completely strip out all the plumbing and remove the sumps. I will be replacing them with 2 55gallon barrels, 1 for k1 and another for heater and misc. This will probably set me back a week or so, but in the end I think that it will be worth it. I will try to get some pictures up as soon as I have something in place. Also as far as long term durability goes, is it better to connect 2 plastic drums with uni-seal or bulkheads? I am wondering because I do not want to have any problems down the road.

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
I added some plants today, they are supposed to grow to about 30 inches, but right now they seem almost dead. Filtration is almost ready to be cycled, although this is a set back from my previous plans, I took this extra time to insulate the tank. All the pumps and lights together are less power than just the heaters, so I figure if I lose as little heat as possible I can make this tank cost very little in terms of electricity for its size. One problem I am noticing however is that my tank now has a very thick cloud like haze. I am not sure if this is a bacterial bloom because I have no fish or filter hooked up yet. It is a major eye-soar and I am not sure how to get rid of it, any advice would be greatly appreciated.IMG_6317.JPG IMG_6310.JPG IMG_6311.JPG IMG_6313.JPG IMG_6315.JPG

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Finished the sumps and the plumbing. As soon as I install my drip system I will be ready to do a fishless cycle. I know the insulation might seem a bit excessive, but you can never save enough money on electricity for heating.IMG_6351.JPG IMG_6352.JPG

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Have you got lids for the barrels? Most of the heat loss will be from the surface.

Great looking build, looking forward to seeing it stocked.
Yeah I have lids not pictured, I figured, they also cut back on humidity a huge amount. Thanks, I cannot wait to stock it either. Actually having quite a hard time finding suitable tank mates for a stingray and Arowana. Looked at a couple lfs near me and it seems that most compatible large fishes lack color which is something I desperately want in this tank.

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
2 weeks into a fishless cycle and still no traces of nitrite or nitrate. My new sump is working great, but this k1 is going to test my patience as I wait for it to cycle. I also plumbed up a drip system, not sure exactly how much I want to drip yet so I am just dripping 1 gph which is about 28% of the total volume per week. What I perceived to be a bacteria bloom has completely cleared up, and now my tank finally has a see through look that I bought the low-iron glass for. IMG_3564.JPG
Stirred up some of the sand, it is getting pretty nasty with all the ammonia in the water, but the plants are really enjoying it.IMG_3565.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store