650 Glass Build and leak

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
For a tank of this size (depth) you require structural grade silicone. Generally this is mentioned in the products technical specification sheet and equates to >30 MPa tensile shear so it's not surprising the DAP failed. I had a quick look at ASI Aquarium Silicone which has about 3 MPa tensile. However since you have already used it, you might as well do a water test once it's cured.

The highest stress zone is midway of the longest panels at the bottom so an internal glass brace along the long panel at bottom greatly increases the adhesion area - similar to having a bottom panel twice as thick. Most big tanks run the bottom brace along all four sides for uniformity. Some very big tanks (8m +) use a split base to enable movement.

If you do have to tear down and reseal, use structural grade PU instead of structural grade silicone because you can simply patch any future leaks with additional PU as new PU will bond to cured PU making repairs or modifications very simple. The structural aspect of PU significantly superior as well.

However structural glazing silicone will suffice.

Tempered glass is far stronger than float glass but is more flexible. Good choice of glass but requires more brace.
Fish safe structural poly? What?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Fish safe structural poly? What?
Has F fishdance been around lately? I for one really want to hear more about this material...

FisheadFrank

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Illinois
Use SCS1200 silicone :)
I bought this and it says “not for underwater use”. So I returned it and went with ASI as it’s designed for underwater use…

I’ve used the following adhesive which is a polyurethane on my 950 plywood aquarium, I used it on 1” acrylic and it worked well. I’m not sure how it would work with glass.

IMG_0652.png

Reactions: celebrist

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I bought this and it says “not for underwater use”. So I returned it and went with ASI as it’s designed for underwater use…

I’ve used the following adhesive which is a polyurethane on my 950 plywood aquarium, I used it on 1” acrylic and it worked well. I’m not sure how it would work with glass.

View attachment 1537137
Cool, op for a glass tank use silicone. SCS1200

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store