65gal cichlids?

sean-820

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Earth
What are some good option for stockign a 65g (4ftx18x18-basically a 75 but not as tall).
I like larger fish and already have some piranhas so i was thinking mayby a cichlid. I have approx neutral water and dotn want to buff it for any african cichlids so i was thinking something like:

Filtration is pretty good. Its an ac110 (500gph) and a penguin 250 (i think). So that would be 11.5x turnover

breeding angelfish
jack demspy
green terror
Would i be able to keep a pair (possibly breeding pair) in this tank or should i just do 1 and some tank mates) what would suitable tank mates be becasue i have heard mixed opinions

This is a permanent tank so i wont upgrade (besides possible fry tanks for angels...
For an angel setup how many should i start with? i want thinking mayby breed all black ones, but im not sure ..

cichlidinsomniac

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2007
Tampa
out of those i would go for the green terror; you could also go with smaller parachromis, grammodes, cuban, female festae, etc

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
sean-820;2714446; said:
another option is an oscar with some tank mates
That could work, but I wouldn't do that. I would stick w/ smaller cichlids like the GT, JD, or some angle fish. Other options are texas, firemouths, nics, salvinis, freddys, servs, earth eaters, or blue acaras. A nice breeding pair would be sals or texas IMO, because of the colors. I would get some dithers as well.

hailmike

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
cichlidinsomniac;2715349; said:
out of those i would go for the green terror; you could also go with smaller parachromis, grammodes, cuban, female festae, etc
:iagree:

danny2875

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
Astoria, NY
GT's, RT Mota, Black Belt cichlids, Any of the medium sized sa/ca cichs

sean-820

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Earth
Would a trio of fire mouth cichlids work with a green terror?

If i had a gt (preferably male beause of colour) haw many of the following could i get assuming they are all at adult size(i would grow them out but i jsut want to know how many for life)?

Grammodes
cuban
female festae
fire mouth cichlids

Also what is "RT mota" i tried to google it but i didnt get anythign. Im guessing rt could be red tailed?

AngelicGreenTerror

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2005
El paso, Texas
sean-820;2724652; said:
Would a trio of fire mouth cichlids work with a green terror?

If i had a gt (preferably male beause of colour) haw many of the following could i get assuming they are all at adult size(i would grow them out but i jsut want to know how many for life)?

Grammodes
cuban
female festae
fire mouth cichlids

Also what is "RT mota" i tried to google it but i didnt get anythign. Im guessing rt could be red tailed?
Grammodes and the cuban should be out of the question for pairs. You could do a female festae. The minimal tank size for the female festae and grammodes are about 75 gallons. The cuban, should have more seeing as it gets better than the rest. Firemouth cichlids would do perfectly. You could have a group of about 4-6 in there. Or you could mix and match and put in convicts as well. But, if you really want the Grammodes or female festae, they're going to have to go solo. Maybe tankmates including tetras but that depends on your fish's personality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store