7/11 sump

JaxsBr

Candiru
MFK Member
May 19, 2009
South Africa
hi guys.
I have a 8inc oscar and 9inch pleco in a 55gal tank.
Im running a eheim eco.not sure about model and such.

1st off i know my tank is to small for both these critters in the long run
2nd i also know im underfilter.

ive been compensating by doing 10% water changes daily or every other day while doing proper gravel syphoning.

But ive had enough and finnaly got myself a diy sump going.its a 15gal glas tank,i drilled the 55 for easy overflow.
Now everything is working fine and dandy except for the pump noise.

The tank is in my room and i cant sleep with it on.the pump is a 400gph pond pump.Il replace it in time im just low on cash at the moment

SO The question realy is:Is it okay to run my sump off a timer from 7am to 11pm.Im afraid of what happens to the bacteria while the sump is off.

should i put a power head in the sump to circulate water while sump isint filtering the 55?

pls help.
also pls excuse the post.cant seem to ask the question with less info

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Your bacteria won't survive without the pump running. Are you keeping the additional filter running on the tank?

FuzzyHead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2006
Oregon
Is it the pump or the running water noise that bothers you? Normally, the water noise on tanks has always been louder than the pumps that I've used.

My 110 gallon has a loud sump pump. For a while, I had a towel wrapped around it to soften the noise and I finally picked up a piece of foam that I could carve and slip over it. It really quieted everything down. I'm thinking on my next stand I'm going insulate the stand for noise using foam insulation. It won't deal with low noises, but should cover higher pitched noises very well.

JaxsBr

Candiru
MFK Member
May 19, 2009
South Africa
yeah its only the pump.It wil be an easy fix when i have some money.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The solution is quite easy. Find the smallest and cheapest pump you can find (small fountain pump). Put the pump in the bottom of the sump with the main pump and run a tube to the top of the sump. Keep the small pump running all the time. When the main pump is off, the small one will keep the media wet and the bacteria alive.

I have a system like this. It has been running on a timer for years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store