7 baby beauties 7 !

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for the replies

Very nice! and as for the feeders the only thing i would say is shy away from the danios.. they can be nasty lil' buggers and cause stresson the babies.. as for the other 2.. whatever is most cost effective imo would be best.... or if you have teh room setting up a stock-tank ect to breed guppies/QT minnows as they grow.. as they willg row Very fast once feeding.. I would keep feeding the frozen foods along with trying to offer live 24/7 to encourage them to eat anything and everything... but ideally they need access 24/7 to food and live is def the way to go. before people start jumping in saying how horrible feeding live is...

I also found when so small doing frequent 25% wcs helped alot particularly doing them from the top, particulalry if your not doing any surface skimming. spooking is also more common when small... so try and be as "delicate" around the tank ect as possible until they settle in.

btw love the planted set-up.
Amy,
Thank you particularly for your tips.
As regards the WC, this tank is the "refuge to be" (added plants only last weekend) of my main system (~1000g) and the water is colected at surface on its way to the sump, so it has surface skimming. As regards the WC, at he moment, I´m still doing "normal" changes but hopefully this weekend I´ll set up the drip system7auto top-off in order to have water changing continuosly.

As regards the food, I´ll start with neons (cheaper than guppies). The danios would be an even heaper source but I´ll take into consideration what you say. Even if they are juveniles?
I´ll complement with frozen and once in a while a pellet, trying to start them eating everything

p.s.: I am being very delicate with this guys...

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Bought 40 feeders and ditch them in before I had my dinner. Went to check as soon as I finishedand only saw 8 or 10.
Now, 3 hrs later, only saw 3.
Guess I have to increase the size of the feeders....

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Put in the midas runt :)

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
hoging all the gars! what would the others say? ;)

tigercat

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2012
winnsboro
You seem to be enjoying your gars. They are very neat fish,you can never have to many. Please keep us posted on your progress.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Bought 40 feeders and ditch them in before I had my dinner. Went to check as soon as I finishedand only saw 8 or 10.
Now, 3 hrs later, only saw 3.
Guess I have to increase the size of the feeders....
lol yeah.. they haven't even hit their stride yet... if your lfs will give you a discount... buy them in as high a bulk as you can house.... 7 young flg imo could finish off 100 a day on average. I know 100 rosy minnows would last my 3 LNGs at 6" 3 days... my LFS loooved me the first 3-4 monthes.

essentially you will likely never have to many feeders.. and your best off offering them ones abit smaller then to large. when they are eating them like popcorn... graduate to a larger feeder. if they can only handle 3 or less per feeding imo they are too large and may cause issues.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Looking good João! :)
These gars have been popping up for a while in Germany. I thought about getting a few for my pond but I suspected they were Floridas and wouldn't cope with the temperature here. It would probably work in Portugal though!;)
Where do you get cheap feeders? I never see any (except coldwater species from fish farms)

Sent from my Toaster

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
In the south of Portugal i think you could do gars in. Apond, if you put them in in summer and let them acclimatixe and prepare for the coleer months

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store