75 Gallon Lake Tanganyika Setup

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
I have kept many fish over my 30+ years and now that I have my 350 gallon up for my Central/South American, I'm going to turn my 75 into a Lake Tanganyika setup. I'm looking for some ideals and would really like a species only tank or only a couple that will co-habit the 75 gallon tank. Please provide me with some species that would fit this bill if possible. I've been doing some research of course and i'm going to order some on Thursday this week and just want to ensure I have the right species to get. Neolamrologus Tetracanthus is one i've looked at as well as Neolamprologus leleupi. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Jester946

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
AZ
I love my leleupi, though they are a pain to breed.

Even with featherfins in the tank, he's the certified "badass" when it comes down to it...He's only scared of two things: my colony of multi's, and my newly added synodontis which is half his size, and twice his attitude.

The issues I have found with tang tanks have been the big differences in sizes. From trophs being huge, and shellies being tiny, it's hard to co-habitate them all.

Look into featherfins, they have been very fun fish, though it's a shame really only the dominate male will colour up, mine has so nicely so far. Look into gobi's, they're cool fish also.

dparks87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
A colony of tropheus would be fun but being that it is your first Tanganyikan set up I might opt for fish that allow for a little more versatility in tank mates. I think tetracanthis are amazing fish and would be more than worth while. Also goby cichlids had been mentioned earlier and I would like to say that I love watching my tanginicodus swim n and out of my rock work. Feather fins like ventralis and furrier are great but may become very dominant in a tank of your size when mature.

Some fish I would look into as we'll would be calvus/altolamprologus, xenotilapia, enanotopius.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
The two lamps species in one tank could be a problem when breeding comes as they will want the same tank space for it, but otherwise the two should work. Try to get an open water type and a rock type.

lorax84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2011
Michigan
Were it my tank I would probably do a shell dweller (L. Stappersi and N. Multifaciatus are my favorites), a rock dweller (Comps?) and a school of Cyps. You could swap out the shell dwellers from some feather fins if shellies aren't your thing.

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
I would like to see someone use the height of a 75 and do a colony of Neolamprologus brichardi they will colonize a rock stack that went right to the top for good measure some shell's and a couple leleupi

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store