7500 GALLON SHARK TANK FOR MY NEW HOME

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
Hey guys!! I've been following the site for too long and recently became a member as I'm in the planning stage of a shark tank for my new home. I was not sure whether this was the right thread to post this however I'm gonna give it a shot. It is a rectangular tank with a curved finish on one side (I'm planning to give it a curved form on the other side with the help of decoration). The dimensions are 21.32L / 8.2W / 6.5D.
I've been fascinated by sharks since I was a child and always wanted to get a shark tank. Since it required a great deal of time+effort+care, I started out doing smaller tanks with smaller fish to get acquainted with the process. Now, I believe I'm ready!
As for the species of sharks, I definitely would love to have blacktop reef sharks (the number of fish will depend on your thoughts and recommendations as I'm now starting to think that the tank is a tad smaller than what you guys believe is required for these species). However, I wanna add that I will only keep the BTR sharks until they're mature since the tank is relatively small for an adult. For other species, I'm thinking bonehead, zebra and whitecap reef shark. The comment I'm hearing a lot about WTR sharks is that they're very aggressive and hunt at night which will cause peril to other fish species in the tank. I would love to hear your thoughts on that. As for other fish, rays look like a safe bet along with some lion fish, puffer and some other fillers.
Regarding the life support system, I will post all the specs as soon as I know that i'm in the right thread as it will be a longer post . :)
The interior design of the aquarium is being produced by a very talented designer from South Africa (http://www.artificialcoralreef.com/index.html). The concept of the design is an underwater (sunk) wine cellar. The tank will go into the man cave as you can imagine :) I have a few photos of the mockup which is being sent to me for final approval before production, I will post these later.
Can't wait to get your thoughts!!
All the best
Kerim

Atumi

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2014
Australia
Wow sounds like such an interesting project its a little small for the species you mention but alot better than they normally get in home aquariums.

have you considered going with less active sharks? catsharks, bamboos and smoothhounds would all flourish in a tank that size, You could get them as pups and keep them their whole lives and not have to worry about them outgrowing your tank, They would probably even breed for you in there.

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
Yes black and white tips will out grow but I seen 4 black tips about 4 feet long in a 5000 gallon so ur tank is definatley better then most, how about so rays and bamboos and a epalautte shark and some dogfish or even an Atlantic sharp nose

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I agree, less active sharks like bamboos and epalautte sharks wuld do better. If you're confident you can find a larger home for a blacktip (giving it to an aquarium or a friend with a bigger tank), I'd go with a few blacktips.
Sounds like its going to be a great tank!

Reactions: Joecool44

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Welcome to the fourm.

i wouldn't mees around with rehoming any shark that will outgrow your aquarium speaking from experience its a pain to find a proper home with someone qualified. most public aquariums won't acept donations of large livestock due to quarintining difficulties. The majority of sharks you mentioned are very high strung and have a strong distaste for coral inserts and other decorations.

There are a few experts on here such as Zoodiver Zoodiver and and many others on Shark and Ray Central are all good recources.

This tank could be very cool and amazing display of a shark and stingray community with other fish such as grunts, groupers, and squirrel fish just to name a few.

Good luck and keep us updated on the build.

Reactions: vincentwugwg

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Amazing. I wanted to see this build. I hope you will post thread. 7500 gal In hause is more than my dream. :)
Welcome to MFK.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hello;how about a hornshark?....another favorite of mine ,but one that I have not had the pleasure of keeping,is the aforementioned zebra shark.If I remember correctly they grow bigger than black tips.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Awesome!! and welcome to MFK. There are a few members here (zoodiver?) who know a ton about sharks and larger saltwater systems. I'm sure they will charm in soon.

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
At that size I believe you could keep a Bonnet Head for quite a while. BTR only if you had a future home, but like others say thats pretty hard to do. I would think you could house a legal leopard, smooth hound, banded hound, short tail nurse and of course any smaller sharks. Will be an awesome tank whatever you do! Can't wait to see it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store