75g Geophagus, Apistogramma, Tetras and Plecos

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
Hello everyone! I haven't had a tank for a few years now and the itch to get tanks again was really getting to me... so I gave in and purchased a 30 gallon tank. That lasted me two months, until I decided I needed something larger, so now I have both the 30 gallon tank and a 75 gallon tank running. Years ago on this site, I was heavily into Peacock Bass and other large fish, which I still love, but I figured I would keep something more sustainable, which led me to Geophagus. So, Ill stop explaining and here are the tanks.... enjoy!

75 Gallon:

Equipment:
Marineland Tank and Stand Kit
Current USA Pro 62" Led Light
250 Titanium Heater
Maxijet 600
Cascade 1500 Canister

Stock:
4 Geophagus Tapajos
3 Apistogramma Cacatuoides
10 Neon Tetras
2 Blue Phantom Plecos
1 Emperor Pleco
1 Atabapo Butterfly Pleco
1 Snowball Pleco
Amazon Swords
Anubias
Jungle Vallisneria

30 Gallon:

Equipment:
Aqueon Tank
Aquaclear 75

Stock:
3 Coptodon Bythobates
3 Silter Tip Tetras

FishTanks-2.jpg

FishTanks-12.jpg

FishTanks-3.jpg

FishTanks.jpg

FishTanks-2.jpg

FishTanks.jpg

FishTanks-11.jpg

FishTanks-3.jpg

FishTanks-4.jpg

FishTanks-5.jpg

FishTanks-6.jpg

FishTanks-8.jpg

FishTanks-7.jpg

FishTanks-6.jpg

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello everyone! I haven't had a tank for a few years now and the itch to get tanks again was really getting to me... so I gave in and purchased a 30 gallon tank. That lasted me two months, until I decided I needed something larger, so now I have both the 30 gallon tank and a 75 gallon tank running. Years ago on this site, I was heavily into Peacock Bass and other large fish, which I still love, but I figured I would keep something more sustainable, which led me to Geophagus. So, Ill stop explaining and here are the tanks.... enjoy!

75 Gallon:

Equipment:
Marineland Tank and Stand Kit
Current USA Pro 62" Led Light
250 Titanium Heater
Maxijet 600
Cascade 1500 Canister

Stock:
4 Geophagus Tapajos
3 Apistogramma Cacatuoides
10 Neon Tetras
2 Blue Phantom Plecos
1 Emperor Pleco
1 Atabapo Butterfly Pleco
1 Snowball Pleco
Amazon Swords
Anubias
Jungle Vallisneria

30 Gallon:

Equipment:
Aqueon Tank
Aquaclear 75

Stock:
3 Coptodon Bythobates
3 Silter Tip Tetras

View attachment 1392340

View attachment 1392341

View attachment 1392342

View attachment 1392343

View attachment 1392344

View attachment 1392345

View attachment 1392346

View attachment 1392347

View attachment 1392348

View attachment 1392349

View attachment 1392350

View attachment 1392351

View attachment 1392352

View attachment 1392353

Welcome back

Good selection of SA species and also the aquascape of the aquarium's look great.

Reactions: MFM

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Looks very nice, I've got a 120G sitting empty in the shed but have just got a 30G long that I'm about to set up for ease of maintenance for the time being.
I'm worried I will have the same problem as you and want to upgrade quickly. I like your smaller setup but it's a big difference if you're used to P Bass. Maybe it won't take long for the 70G to feel too small for you either?

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
Looks very nice, I've got a 120G sitting empty in the shed but have just got a 30G long that I'm about to set up for ease of maintenance for the time being.
I'm worried I will have the same problem as you and want to upgrade quickly. I like your smaller setup but it's a big difference if you're used to P Bass. Maybe it won't take long for the 70G to feel too small for you either?
The 75 should be perfect as I don’t have space for anything else and it’s setup just as I imagined... I think you’ll definitely want the bigger tank pretty quickly as the smaller tanks run out of options. The fish I wanted needed at least 75 gallons so that’s the route I went...

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
The 75 should be perfect as I don’t have space for anything else and it’s setup just as I imagined... I think you’ll definitely want the bigger tank pretty quickly as the smaller tanks run out of options. The fish I wanted needed at least 75 gallons so that’s the route I went...
I had a similar mix of fish as your 75G when my 120 was set up, yours are very colourful so must be nice and happy. Are you worried the geos will end up eating the neons?
I think the 30G will not last long for me but with work and kids etc. it's all I can handle at the moment. I am going to go for a similar look to yours actually. Will set up a thread once I finally get it up and running.

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
I had a similar mix of fish as your 75G when my 120 was set up, yours are very colourful so must be nice and happy. Are you worried the geos will end up eating the neons?
I think the 30G will not last long for me but with work and kids etc. it's all I can handle at the moment. I am going to go for a similar look to yours actually. Will set up a thread once I finally get it up and running.
Yeah I’ve been mixing up their food a lot and they seem to really like it! I don’t think they will because the tank is fed well and the neons avoid them as best as possible... I’m actually more worried about the apistos eating them haha and yeah I can barely handle caring for the two tanks at the moment. Excited to see what you create!

Reactions: tlindsey

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Red heads can get very territorial when they start breeding. I kept mine in a 6ft 125gal and still found they beat each other up during spawning

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
Red heads can get very territorial when they start breeding. I kept mine in a 6ft 125gal and still found they beat each other up during spawning
Yeah, I’ve been keeping a close eye on them and they’ve taken a side of the tank and seem to sick to it. They really hate it when I put my hand in there lol

Reactions: decoy50

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
Well... they went crazy the other night and two of the Tapajos are dead, one of them being the beautiful dominant male. The others are breathing heavily on the bottom of the tank. Checked the water parameters and everything appears fine. No other fish look to be stressed at all. bummed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store