8x3x2 stingray tank

Finster90

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2022
So im getting a 8x3x2 tank built.. I've always wanted to go down the stingray route so thats what I wanna do. I'm going too have automatic water changes on my tank so water parameters shouldn't be a problem as they never are/were before.

What kind/how many could I do? Keep in mind I do wanna stock other things in there but not exactly sure what would look awesome with them.
I do have a Florida gar I was thinking of putting with them but then that would probably limit other tank mates.
I also have 6 bichir but I don't think they could coexist the rays and them.
Any help on this would be great!

Finster90

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2022
Any help?? Was leaning toward the stingray and xingu bass and maybe one of my florida gars?

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
So im getting a 8x3x2 tank built.. I've always wanted to go down the stingray route so thats what I wanna do. I'm going too have automatic water changes on my tank so water parameters shouldn't be a problem as they never are/were before.

What kind/how many could I do? Keep in mind I do wanna stock other things in there but not exactly sure what would look awesome with them.
I do have a Florida gar I was thinking of putting with them but then that would probably limit other tank mates.
I also have 6 bichir but I don't think they could coexist the rays and them.
Any help on this would be great!
I have tried many different fish as tankmates to all my rays over the years. Large peacock bass worked ok, but cost more in feed as the bass always got more than they needed and I still had to make sure the rays got enough. Ended up being unnecessary extra bio load really. I have 1 mantilla in my 1000gal with 3 Florida gars and they always try to nip at the ray when fed just because of their poor eyesight and the ray jumps on the majority of food right away. Datnoids are a good mix w rays in my opinion and larger cichlids have usually worked fine for me as well, i.e. oscars, severums, parrots, Viejas, etc. Arapaimas are the best tank mates for rays I've ever kept together, but nobody should ever keep pimas unless they already have a system of minimum 5000gal, 10,000 ideally. (Not planning on upgrading when needed as I did) they get very large and hard to transfer extremely quickly. I dont recommend catfish, pacu, gourami, arowana (although some have success im told). All this said, rays being the main focus and majority of my interest. I tend to prefer no tankmates with rays in general other than common plecos as long as they're fed well and don't go after the rays. If your tank will only be 2' tall, i would only do 2 mature rays or maybe 4 or 5 pups/adolescents temporarily. I wouldn't do any other tankmates most likely as from my experiences, the tankmates that work best are top swimmers who stay away from the bottom usually. Chances of them deciding to mess w your rays is greater if they can't get their own space when they want. Hope this helps ya. 🤙

Finster90

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2022
I have tried many different fish as tankmates to all my rays over the years. Large peacock bass worked ok, but cost more in feed as the bass always got more than they needed and I still had to make sure the rays got enough. Ended up being unnecessary extra bio load really. I have 1 mantilla in my 1000gal with 3 Florida gars and they always try to nip at the ray when fed just because of their poor eyesight and the ray jumps on the majority of food right away. Datnoids are a good mix w rays in my opinion and larger cichlids have usually worked fine for me as well, i.e. oscars, severums, parrots, Viejas, etc. Arapaimas are the best tank mates for rays I've ever kept together, but nobody should ever keep pimas unless they already have a system of minimum 5000gal, 10,000 ideally. (Not planning on upgrading when needed as I did) they get very large and hard to transfer extremely quickly. I dont recommend catfish, pacu, gourami, arowana (although some have success im told). All this said, rays being the main focus and majority of my interest. I tend to prefer no tankmates with rays in general other than common plecos as long as they're fed well and don't go after the rays. If your tank will only be 2' tall, i would only do 2 mature rays or maybe 4 or 5 pups/adolescents temporarily. I wouldn't do any other tankmates most likely as from my experiences, the tankmates that work best are top swimmers who stay away from the bottom usually. Chances of them deciding to mess w your rays is greater if they can't get their own space when they want. Hope this helps ya. 🤙
This has helped greatly! Thank you for taking the time too type that out. I maybe have to go into a different direction with my tank unfortunately, since I don't want this huge tank only have 2 rays in it, I feel it would defeat the purpose of having a really cool big tank :( maybe then I just stick too bass or something else,I've always wanted a sbovelnose too but they get to dam big for that tank.. dam the decision now

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Finster90

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2022
If i went the cichlid route with 2 rays, what pairing would you suggest, could I do a datnoid and a oscar or one or another and I assume only 1? I know oscars get too be big boys so idk If I could keep 2.. would frontosas work?

Last edited:

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I have a 9x3x2.4 tank with an adult pair of mini marble rays in there that have bred.The females about 14" amd a big thick fish the male a fair bit smaller. I wouldn't get a bigger type of ray in a 3ft wide tank as in my opinion they need the space.

I have with mine and have had for a year or so 2 x florida gar, an african tiger fish, goonch, fire eel, 3 bichirs an asian aro and a young payara

The rays are totally fine with the others and the others are fine with them they just don't bother each other so I would suggest stock the way you wanted to you'll be fine

Finster90

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2022
I have a 9x3x2.4 tank with an adult pair of mini marble rays in there that have bred.The females about 14" amd a big thick fish the male a fair bit smaller. I wouldn't get a bigger type of ray in a 3ft wide tank as in my opinion they need the space.

I have with mine and have had for a year or so 2 x florida gar, an african tiger fish, goonch, fire eel, 3 bichirs an asian aro and a young payara

The rays are totally fine with the others and the others are fine with them they just don't bother each other so I would suggest stock the way you wanted to you'll be fine
That's awesome too hear bc I have 2 florida gars about 6 inches now. And I have 6 bichir. You think the 6 bichir would be ok with the 2 rays. I love that stock you have, that must be a Beautiful tank.

Reactions: Simonas

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
That's awesome too hear bc I have 2 florida gars about 6 inches now. And I have 6 bichir. You think the 6 bichir would be ok with the 2 rays. I love that stock you have, that must be a Beautiful tank.
I cant see there being a problem as my bichirs have no involvement with the rays. The 3 bichirs which are about 16" and two of them 12" stay at one end and the rays occupy the main part of the tank

My gars are bigger at 12" and 15" but again no involvement with the rays

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store