9' long 4'high 5'deep ply tank has begun.....kinda!

mike huntley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ipswich Suffolk
Satan's Goldfish;4492963; said:
wow, so much happens when i don't check MFK for a few weeks!

Good work Mike, sucks about the leak though, hopefully that's sorted now. Soon be done. (Still possible availability on my big bass if you want, the guy that has it is having second thoughts and wouldn't mind it going if you're interested)
hello mate, thought you'd vanished!

big bass, is that the/a peacock bass? i like the look of them very much but have a couple of concerns, mainly the size of the mouth! they seem to have a huge gob and i bet an appetite to boot, i'm just thinking that when the time comes to get an arowana or two, they will probably be between 4-6 inches to start with and i don't wanna go in there one morning and see an aro's tail hanging out of the bass's front end :WHOA: :ROFL:

how big is he? will they get on with other cichlids, geophagus?

mike huntley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ipswich Suffolk
alanm;4493254; said:
mike

depends on the flow rate of the input water if you simply drip water in from the mains you could add buffers twice a week

you could go for RO and HMA mix but there will be a waste water involved

at a minimum i would use HMA and buffers at least the metals and chlorine will be gone

Hi Alan, thanks very much for that info, much appreciated.

I have just done a quick sweep online for some info on the HMA, but really i could do with chatting with you if you don't mind, give you a bell tonight if that cool to ask for some help if thats cool? :)

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
mike huntley;4491318; said:
thinking about installing a drip feed direct into the sump and modifying one of the 22mm pipes going through the side as the over flow, to although it to have a constant water change as i read different people use this method, to put it simply can i just run a cold mains feed to the tank? i will control both flows with valves so they can be fine tuned, but because i want to keep fish from softer waters than the tap, will it be possible to simply buffer the water in the tank with chemicals to reduce the ph?
I have a drip system in my tank. Set it up if possible, it's the single best modification I have made to my tank. I never do water changes.
I set my drip to go directly into the top of my tank and the overflow is in my sump, the furthest distance from the new water so I don't just dump the new water down the drain. I started with a 1 gallon per hour flow and then jumped up to almost 2 right now. I would test my water once a week then give a little adjustment accordingly until I found a sweet spot, not to much new water, yet a very clean tank. I don't treat the water at all before putting it into the tank. I just ran a line from the cold water pipe in my laundry room to my tank. No issues, the fish are fine. Either they adapted to the chlorine or the slow drip into almost 500 gallons of water (with the sump) dilutes the tap water enough not to hurt the fish. The whole set up is in my 450 thread.

Satan's Goldfish

Cloven-hoofed Sea Monkey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Carterton, Oxfordshire
mike huntley;4493569; said:
hello mate, thought you'd vanished!

big bass, is that the/a peacock bass? i like the look of them very much but have a couple of concerns, mainly the size of the mouth! they seem to have a huge gob and i bet an appetite to boot, i'm just thinking that when the time comes to get an arowana or two, they will probably be between 4-6 inches to start with and i don't wanna go in there one morning and see an aro's tail hanging out of the bass's front end :WHOA: :ROFL:

how big is he? will they get on with other cichlids, geophagus?
Nah i've not vanished, just got no fish for now and sorting out a lot of other stuff. Next big build's sat waiting in the planning stage, got most of it worked out in my head now so watch this space;)

Yeah that would be the draw back to having him, he has a big mouth! Was 15inches long last time i saw him and did enjoy eating fish a couple of inches long. Got on fine with the other cichlids and fish though as he had plenty of space at mine but apparently he has got a little agro in a smaller tank which isn't good.

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
U.K. West Midlands
JoeTurner14;4498825; said:
Nah it's the loro park in tenerife... :) definetly a good shout :):headbang2
thought i recognised the tank....Ive been there....AMAZIN TANK... I also like their amazonian biotype river with rays pacu red tail catfish massive!

mike huntley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ipswich Suffolk
tank is full and has been since friday - no leaks :)

got it turning over slightly using a small internal eheim and an air stone.

Now got work to do on the filtration with help from a friend and she'll be cycling soon i hope. finish the hood and front facia and order some java fern etc. to attach to the wood in the top area of the tank, i'll experiment with java fern at different depths and see how well it grows as the light intensity decreases.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store