900 Gallon aquarium on floor above basement

newb23

Feeder Fish
Mar 1, 2016
Ok guys, here is a question that has been asked many many times just not with this size as far as I have been able to tell. I have read everything under the sun and even laughed at some info. Here is my build.
I am building a 12' wide x 36" deep and 48" tall plywood aquarium in our "family room" it is on our main floor entering our home but is above a finished full basement. our home is rectangular and approx 4800 sqft basement included. maybe 40 feet deep. The wall I would like to put this up against is directly in the center of the home (front to back) but less than 20 feet from the left edge of the foundation wall. The basement is designed with a center hallway (going the long width of the home and about 9 rooms total on both sides. The hallway walls in essence have now been made into load bearing walls and the hallway is about 42" wide. The tank would sit directly above this or maybe right on one of these walls. This is a massive build at least in my eyes and it should be quite impressive with the large viewing area. The down side is I am pretty sure it will weigh close to 12,000 lbs if not closer to 14,000 lbs. I know this is of the extreme nature for a second floor build but let me know as much insight as possible. Structural engineers are going to tell you loads of things to get $$$ from you. So please no suggestions I hire one. The home was built in the 80's if that helps. I can also take pictures and email them if needed to better explain the layout of the basement and walls. Also, since i missed explaining it above the tank will run over quite a few joists.. depending on how I build it between 6-8. Thanks in advance.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I don't have experience with having tanks at that size on the second floor but currently I have a 220 and 300 gallon on my 2nd floor with 4 floor Jack's under each.....reguardless of how your house was built personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with putting a 900 gallon on the second floor unless you had thick metal beams under the tank or if it was on cement.......

Reactions: tlindsey and newb23

newb23

Feeder Fish
Mar 1, 2016
if this design just isn't feasible I dont mind converting it a little. 12ft wide x 30" deep x 36" tall which takes it down to 650 gallon (probably 600 gallons of actual water) and roughly 7000 lbs with stand and stocked. I like the tall viewing areas but the more I think about it 4 feet tall is just too much. This gives it about 200 lbs per sq foot or 180 lbs if I make the stand 15ft wide that it sits on to distribute the weight and put shelving or something on each side.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
You are lucky enough to have a finished basement .....something many of us on here wish we had....don't risk it and put the tank in the basement....you can make it whatever size u please and u can save ur self the constant stress of structural damage and also save money on repairs if and when the floor starts to crack/sag

Reactions: jaws7777

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
You can have someone reinforce the area in which the tank will be with cement and 4x4 or 4x6 pillars... Question is.. why put a DIY tank in the family room? It's not going to look nice at all... Plywood tanks belong in the basement. Just my 2 cents

1395360817458_IMG956056 (1).jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
No need for structural engineers. Waste of money. White the tank is going to sit, in the basement double up 2x10 , 3 of them and run against the floor joists that are there. Then get some adjustable lally columns to support those 2x10s. Rhe house was built in the 80s so he concrete floor has to be at least 4" thick. A poured slab has a ridiculous crush pressure if I remember correctly. Something like 10,000 lb per square inch You will be fine I've seen this done before with no problems

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
The basement is designed with a center hallway (going the long width of the home and about 9 rooms total on both sides. The hallway walls in essence have now been made into load bearing walls and the hallway is about 42" wide
Rhe house was built in the 80s so he concrete floor has to be at least 4" thick.
slab has a ridiculous crush pressure if I remember correctly. Something like 10,000 lb per square inch
Hello; I believe these quoted passages could be assumptions. The partition walls in the basement may or may not act as a load bearing, it will depend on how they were framed up.

I am not sure about the relationship between the 1980's and a slab of at least 4 inches. Even if it was code, that is not a guarantee the slab meets such a code.

I have been learning about concrete lately. Much seems to depend on how the mix was handled. A little too much water and it is weaker.

Please post the results over time if you go thru with this. Pictures before and after will be of interest.

Good luck

Reactions: Kaia and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store