900 gallon plywood

gzeiger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
SC
This can actually hold about 1000 gallons, depending where I end up putting the water level. I'm building the tank into the wall of a shed, using the existing floor and walls as the main support for the bottom and two sides. The remaining unsupported corner will be 2x4s screwed and glued into a 4x4 which is connected by several 2x4s in the end wall to the wall of the building. These pictures are a week old now I think. I'll get some new ones up soon.

My intention is to fiberglass the corners and seams (this is longer than a sheet of plywood, so there is a seam in the floor and back wall). The front wall will not contain a plywood seam, but will have two vertical beams and three windows each about 32x36 inches. I'm thinking Zavlar for the waterproofing, but haven't decided yet.

tank floor.jpg tank floor.jpg Tank side.jpg

Reactions: HumanBean

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Wow....look forward to seeing the completed product!

gzeiger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
SC
New pictures showing a little more progress. Vertical beams in the front will wait until I have the glass moved in, then I'll finish the fiberglass and start a layer of West Systems epoxy over it. Once that's all cured, then I'll do the glass, and finally climb back into the tank to finish the epoxy on the back wall (where the glass will be leaning while I fiberglass the front).

I did some reinforcement of the floor below before I started, and I didn't get it level enough. Consequently there was enough movement in the bottom when I walked on it to crack the Bondo seam you can see in the corners and edges. Fiberglass would probably handle the amount of flex I saw, but then I can't be sure my weight produced the maximum available deflection. Consequently I plan to move the floor up by pouring a self-leveling compound (LevelQuik RS from Home Depot) to get it level, then adding 2x6 joists to distribute the weight of the new higher bottom. It's annoying, but putting the bottom of the tank right on the floor wasn't the best either for viewing. Now I just have to figure out how to undo the Gorilla Glue holding that 2x6 in over by the end (since I'll need to bring up the bottom of the windows too).

tank end.jpg tank side.jpg

gzeiger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
SC
I'll try to do better at keeping up with pictures.

I wasn't able to get the 2x6 off, so I cut a section out of it (and the identical one on the opposite side) - turns out better that way anyway, but it was more work. I just poured the leveling compound today. I suspect that it will not be as level as advertised, but I can always shim the lumber. I really just need it to distribute the weight.

Pictures to follow.

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
Oh dude you have to have your floor level before you build on it. You can just "shim" a 900g tank. The weight will crush the shim and you won't be level anymore. Unless you're ok with the water being uneven at the top I would make sure the floor is level first. With the amount of pressure I wouldn't trust having an uneven tank over time. The uneven weight distribution will put additional stress on the joints.

Reactions: millerkid519
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store