90G MALAWI TANK STOCKED FINALLY!!!!

angeltc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
NoVa
MoFish78;2787108; said:
The fish in the first 2 pics is a Copadichromis borleyi and i think your malawi trout is a Sciaenochromis fryeri...commonly known as the Electric Blue.

is the blue striped one a johanni or a maingano? been tryin to figure out how to tell the difference.
Alright that's good about the electric blue not being a "Malawi trout.". I'm not sure whether the blue striped one is a johanni or a maingano. It was sold as a johanni, so I'm gonna go with that for now.

bobgobucks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
Rockport, TX
Perhaps a Aul stuartgranti maleri, a lethrinops, a copadachromis azeuris, and a super red empress would be great.
I also like taiwan reefs. (protomelas)
Just focus in on Malawi Haps and look for varietal colors.

greenearthlawns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Danville, NH
"Alright that's good about the electric blue not being a "Malawi trout.". I'm not sure whether the blue striped one is a johanni or a maingano. It was sold as a johanni, so I'm gonna go with that for now."

They are called Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos according to google,
If google is correct, yours is technically a Maingano... the males and females look similar but the males will have more darker blue and be bigger and more colorful...

here is the johanni they have some vertical bars and horizontal ones ontop... the females are yellow/orange

greenearthlawns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Danville, NH
I think yours has great color looks like a male... I think I have a female one so if your ever looking for a female let me know....

angeltc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
NoVa
greenearthlawns;2788275; said:
I think yours has great color looks like a male... I think I have a female one so if your ever looking for a female let me know....
Which fish are you talking about?

greenearthlawns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Danville, NH
Angeltc, Your Copadichromis borleyi looks to be a female... I have a male just got him on Valentine's day for my bf... a beautiful fish!! seems to be a pretty good selection at your lfs.... ;)

angeltc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
NoVa
greenearthlawns;2790752; said:
THE BLUE STRIPED ONE THE MAINGANO...
K well thanks for the offer, but I want him to be the only melanochromis in the tank to keep aggression down.
As far as my lfs goes, it does have a pretty good variety. Some of the fish are labeled incorrectly or labeled vaguely though. I also wish that the staff could sex some of the fish, especially the sexually nondimorphic species. Other than that, it's great!
So the copadichromis borleyi is a female, not just a juvie that hasn't colored up yet? At what size do the males start coloring up?

At what size do venustus males start coloring up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store