90g Planted cichlid tank setup questions

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
Ok I think I've decided to go with the fuge rays. I'm also going to forget about the rainbows and just do geos, a pike, a chocolate and tetras with a couple BNPs. I picked up some rocks to build terracing walls, but I guess I need to cut some acrylic and silicone it behind/to the rocks and to the glass to make it leak proof. I'll read up more on that before I do it. Here's a pic of my approximate hardscape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1392423803351.jpg

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
I picked up some rocks to build terracing walls, but I guess I need to cut some acrylic and silicone it behind/to the rocks and to the glass to make it leak proof. I'll read up more on that before I do it. Here's a pic of my approximate hardscape.
? Sorry, its been a long day.... I don't understand why you're siliconing acrylic behind/to rocks/glass ?

To create terracing, I used egg crate wrapped in black non metal mesh screening attached with black zip ties. Eventually I pulled the terracing out because the geos spit sand/Eco on both sides of terracing. I'm glad I didn't use silicone because the idea of a beautifully upward sloping scape became a distant memory once my geos redecorated.

Your scape layout looks great btw!!

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
I plan to make a higher area on both sides where I'll plant heavily, and keep the middle area with free sand. I want to avoid that situation by having the plants well established before the geos can dig. The substrate will be abt 2.5 inches but the rock wall will be like 6 with a bunch of plants in the way, so hopefully they wont carry substrate over and spit it out. The siliconed acrylic is so there's a true barrier and sand can't just slip through the rocks between the two sides. This is all in theory of course, based on stuff I read.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
I plan to make a higher area on both sides where I'll plant heavily, and keep the middle area with free sand. I want to avoid that situation by having the plants well established before the geos can dig. The substrate will be abt 2.5 inches but the rock wall will be like 6 with a bunch of plants in the way, so hopefully they wont carry substrate over and spit it out. The siliconed acrylic is so there's a true barrier and sand can't just slip through the rocks between the two sides. This is all in theory of course, based on stuff I read.

Ok, now I understand what you're trying to achieve. Well established plants prior to adding geos is a great idea as well. You mean higher/heavier planted areas on the sides with a barrier, sort of caddy cornered and/or along the back wall? That's what I did too. BTW, Sand won't slip through mesh screening either, its not permanent, placing rocks against the barrier will hold it in place and you'll still get water/flow through the barrier. If its heavily planted, and blocked by a rock wall, hopefully they'll leave it alone :) If its siliconed though, there's no flow, no aeration and a potential risk for all sorts of build up in those areas. If the rocks are higher than the siliconed areas, that would mean dead spots too. I'm really looking forward to the progress of your setup!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
Hmm, thanks for that piece of advice. Mesh sounds easier, and I hadn't found any good examples of exactly how other people have done terracing with acrylic. What kind of mesh did you use, if you don't mind me asking? In the picture it looks kind of like the stuff you use for mulch? I'm pretty excited too, I think I'll try to set up the terracing this weekend!

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Hmm, thanks for that piece of advice. Mesh sounds easier, and I hadn't found any good examples of exactly how other people have done terracing with acrylic. What kind of mesh did you use, if you don't mind me asking? In the picture it looks kind of like the stuff you use for mulch? I'm pretty excited too, I think I'll try to set up the terracing this weekend!
You're welcome and of course I don't mind you asking. Its actually from a roll of heavy duty replacement mesh for doors or windows. Its a window screen and much more open than landscape fabric. This has a lot more air exchange than what you'd want to lay under mulch. I picked it up in home depot. Here's a link to a similar product, pls ignore the price since this is for a very large roll. You'd need a lot less. Just make sure you get one with NO metal, it would rust in the tank.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-36-in-x-25-ft-Black-PetScreen-3025887/202176175
If you don't already have it, you can get egg crate/lighting diffuser there as well. Ignore the price here too, its for a multi pack.
http://www.homedepot.com/s/egg%20crate?NCNI-5

Just do one layer of the mesh wrapped the same way as a present. You only need to close with zip ties and trim off the end of the tie. I used really small ones. I cut the egg crate with needle nose pliers. The edges are sharp if you don't make the ends flush it can poke through. I was really careful with this since I didn't want it to hurt my fish. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!!

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Close up shot from one of the corner pieces....
uploadfromtaptalk1392443420299.jpg

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
Ok I bought mesh, but I will note for anyone who reads this thread later, the one in the link had pretty large holes and looked like it would leak sand, i bought one with smaller holes, which looks similar to the one in the picture you posted. It was called insect screen and was the same brand, Phifer. I think(hope) it doesn't have any metal, doesn't seem like it. I've painted the back of my tank black, started siliconing the mesh in place to make the terrace, and I've ordered all the equipment I need. I'll post a pic when the tank is back on the stand and ready to plant. I'm researching plant species and I think I'll go with some of the ones you mentioned that the geos left alone, and put the roots through small sections of eggcrate (which I have bought and spraypainted (Krylon Fusion) black in case it gets exposed). How about plants without root structure that you tie onto driftwood, like java fern, java moss? Anyone know if the cichlids would mess them up if I tied them with fishing line?

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
What youve described sounds like the same screen I used. The package should tell you what its made from. My geos haven't bothered anything tied to driftwood. My Australoheros Oblongum were the ones that made a mess of java moss. Java fern are on my list to try out.

Where are you using silicone? To attach to the rocks? I just used rocks, to hold the terraces in place, so they wouldn't be permanent. I didn't think the silicone was necessary.

Here's another thread where I recommended Anomalochromis thomasi
http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570273
I just realized I never mentioned dwarf jewels to you. Theyre from Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone.. I attended an NJAS meeting last month where Paul Loiselle gave a presentation on west African cichlids and these were part of the lecture. Their water parameters appear to be similar to some SA cichlids. Thomasi are found in small streams. They're small, perfect in a planted tank and pretty! Thomasi are also peaceful and nothing like their nasty cousins. Jeff Rapps has them on his stock list. The rest of my fish in the pt, except the L240, are from him as well.

You've certainly accomplished a great deal in a short time. I'm excited to see pics!! Have fun :)

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
Ok so the tank is set up and ready now. I siliconed the barriers because they are just mesh, not hard with eggcrate inside. That was the only way to make them stand up, and they will be permanent. I filled the two corners with eco-complete to about 2 inches, and the middle part with sand over just a very thin layer of eco-complete. Also got some smooth rocks to finish decorating with and hopefully for fish to lay eggs on. Those thomasi are awesome, I will get some for sure! Here is a top view of how the barrier works, and a shot of the tank after I filled it. Only one light is on but I feel like there is way too much glare from the light to take a good picture. Maybe I need a canopy? I am also annoyed that the wood is floating but maybe I'll just tie plants to it and leave it until it sinks on it's own. I'd like to plant it this weekend. I also cut little squares of egg crate and sprayed them black to use for planting the side sections (the roots will go through). I will plant them and add another inch of sand on top of the eco-complete. Oh and I hope to conceal the rest of the barrier by planting java moss or something on it.

uploadfromtaptalk1393049242026.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393050741406.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393050817066.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store