A few road rescues.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Usually see turtles in the roads up here when they are looking for places to lay eggs.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Turtles get killed frequently this time of year while crossing roads.
I found the smaller painted turtle on the side of a busy road. It was near a turtle that was already hit. The other was in the middle of another road. Both most likely would have been crushed. I know my friend found the snapper on the road too. Unfortunately I find more turtles that were run over than live ones.
Usually see turtles in the roads up here when they are looking for places to lay eggs.
this time of year they are scrambling to find grounds for aestivation.....mating takes place in Spring and eggs are laid depending on latitude ; southern populations start much earlier in March, northern populations may not breed until May.

joel joel - Redear Sliders will cannibalize other turtles in some instances, and you run a much higher risk w/ keeping aggressive predatory turtles like Snappers or Softshells w/ "communicable" turtles......I see dozens of Painteds, Cooters, etc lying on top of each other on logs and rocks to bask, but I have never caught or even seen more than one Snapper or Softshell at the same time in the same immediate area.....even when I spot them in the same ponds, they tend to avoid each other and keep their distance from each other......unless it's hatching-season

Last edited:
Reactions: joel

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
what were they rescued from? or are they just found and collected?
this. unless you are helping it to the other side or putting in a lake/pond you are actually hurting the species and only saving your wallet

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store