"A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever" - Hoplarchus psittacus

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Here are my three year old pair of Hoplarchus psittacus spawning. If you pardon the cliche, they are like "poetry in motion" as they perform their well choreographed spawning dance. That they are a magnificent species is an understatement, in my opinion. Seeing the beautiful, graceful motions of these Parrot cichlids spawning reminded me of a poem that I once studied in an English Lit class, 'A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever' by John Keats. We are so lucky in this hobby of ours to be able to see such natural wonders in our own home aquaria.

[video=youtube_share;DWDWIGBp_qg]http://youtu.be/DWDWIGBp_qg[/video]

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Great job.
those are some of my dream fish :) doubt I'd ever have enough tank to be happy keeping them. they really are most gorgeous in pairs. Peathenster had his in 10 ft long tank. that'd be a display.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Thanks. These are in a 180G...wish I had a 500G+ for my SA fish. Oh well, in another lifetime.

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
Beautiful pair. Very nice looking cichlids :)

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Thanks. These are in a 180G...wish I had a 500G+ for my SA fish. Oh well, in another lifetime.
I considered psittacus for my 180, but the idea of more variety in the space won out. I don't have tanks to move things around if it goes bad. Re-homing something that size here means a long drive.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Beautiful. They are a stunning pair..........great job with them.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Beautiful pair!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks.

I considered psittacus for my 180, but the idea of more variety in the space won out. I don't have tanks to move things around if it goes bad. Re-homing something that size here means a long drive.
I agree, I don't think they would do nearly as well in a crowded situation.

Beautiful. They are a stunning pair..........great job with them.
Much appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store