A Thread for River

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Hi all!

As usually happens with this wonderful hobby of ours, my hubby and I had plans for all our fish, you know, to upsize most of our tanks, get more décor etc. Then all that went out the window..

We were in my favorite LFS just before Christmas and I was talking to the cichlids like I always do, when this adorable little cichlid swam up to say hello. I fell in love (like I do every time I see a fish :D) and called out to my hubby. In the back of my mind I'd hoped he'd say what he usually does "where are we going to keep it" "how are we going to feed it" and so on... So I asked "Jeffy can we get her?!" like I do almost every trip, and without even answering me he asks the guy to baggie her up... I was NOT expecting that!

So now we have a cichlid, and the plans for all our tanks have been thrown in the bin to accommodate her..

We've been calling her a "her" since we got her for a few reasons 1) I wanted a female, their smaller size is MUCH easier to manage, and 2) She looks like a female - I don't know how to sex these guys while they're little but I think she has a feminine face. :D

This morning she had a surprise for us, she confirmed that she was indeed a "she" by laying eggs in her little cave thingy!!! Obviously they're unfertilized but nonetheless, she is most definitely a female!

Jeff named her River because the spangly bits on her face look like little rivers. She's currently in a 3' 100ltr holding tank until my hubby gets her 4'x2'x2' set up hopefully next week sometime. She's about 3" long right now and has grown a little bit in the two weeks or so that we've had her.

Anyways enough rambling, you guys want to see a fish right? Well here she is, our little green terror, River:
IMG_20170103_132015_479.JPG

Guarding her unfertile eggs (you can see them where the substrate meets the glass):
IMG_20170103_132126_561.JPG

Going mad at me for getting to close to her eggs:
IMG_20170103_132316_293.JPG

She's been eating like a champ since we got her, she wasn't even home for an hour and she was begging for food,

Question, what do I do with her eggs? Do I just leave them in there for her to tend to and take them out as they go yucky? Will she dispose of them herself as they go bad? Or should I take them out asap on her?

I'll continue to update this every couple of months or so to keep track of how she's growing, more for myself than for others, but of others enjoy it then sweet! :)

Side note - she's silver!!! We RARELY see silvers down here, she's so awesome in every way! :D

Frank Castle Frank Castle here she is! :)

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Very cool, she should take care of the eggs. If not when they start getting all white vaccume them out.

She looks like she has a pretty dark blue color to her. I just got one that has a bunch of reds on him.

Sounds like she has a good personality too, mine is super skiddish. Although funny as hell when he thinks he is alone. I caught him carrying a leaf around his tank the other day.

Good luck with the new acquire !

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Very cool, she should take care of the eggs. If not when they start getting all white vaccume them out.

She looks like she has a pretty dark blue color to her. I just got one that has a bunch of reds on him.

Sounds like she has a good personality too, mine is super skiddish. Although funny as hell when he thinks he is alone. I caught him carrying a leaf around his tank the other day.

Good luck with the new acquire !
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them and if they go yuck I'll syphon them out. But for now I'll leave them with her, it gives her something to do while in her tiny tank. :)

Her colours are amazing, pics don't do her justice at all.. Her personality is great too, she flares up at my cats when they get close to her tank and has done from day 1, almost like she thinks they could be a threat... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Do you have a full tank shot?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
No but I can try getting one today :) Its very sparsely decorated with the small amount of wood that was in my bettas 50ltr (betta is now sharing a 170ltr with minnows, kuhllis etc) so it doesn't have much, and most of it is in one spot to make a little shelter thing for her.

That is a very nice female, congrats!
Thanks, I think so too. :)

wow, great looking girl you got there. Looks like you got lucky.
I told you she was pretty! Maybe I just know how to pick a nice cichlid. :D

Nice looking fish! You don't want to get a male for her?
Thanks. Na, I'd want an 8x4x2' tank if I kept a pair, and there's nowhere in my tiny house to put a 4' wide tank... Aaand if I got a male people would ignore her to look at him, she's beautiful and deserves to be a star. :D

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I half managed to get a full tank shot, unfortunately because of the damn sun shining through the window you can see more of my trashed bedroom and reflection than you can the actual tank, but here it is, please excuse the mess: IMG_20170104_144416_468.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store