A visual guide to sexing new world cichlids

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
Here are parachromis managuense...
Pics of my two together prior to spawning...the observation that fishman09 made on basic female parachromis patterns is evident..in that pic the male is about 7 inches the female about 5....
In the first pic of the male solo zoom in to see his pointy male vent a couple of spaces before his anal fin starts..
In the female solo pic you can see her rounded vent...it was more prominent than usual as she was preparing to lay eggs...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1363525531401.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1363525635665.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1363525718360.jpg

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I think it's important to note in most of the fish posted here I've seen sub dominant males look female, I've seen proven males with black blotches on the dorsal... Don't assume it's 100% just based on visual characteristics.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Clockwork, that your Cuban looks to be a male.
I also agree that sub-dominant males often masquerade/appear as females.
When an alpha male Paratilapia male I had died, another one in the tank, that I thought was female had a dramatic head profile change, and grew exponentially almost over night.
I wondered if she changed sex to fill the void.

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
Thanks Duanes and aclockwork. Here's an example of male and female Paratheraps Hartwegi. Top is male, notice the larger head profile and much better coloration on the male where the female has a much more sloped head.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I think it's important to note in most of the fish posted here I've seen sub dominant males look female, I've seen proven males with black blotches on the dorsal... Don't assume it's 100% just based on visual characteristics.
I agree with this 100%. While apistos are well known for their 'sneaker males' (males masquerading as females), I have noted other cichlids (both SA and CA) sometimes doing this to defuse aggression ... most notably in my own experience, convict males that keep the orange spotting on the abdomen until removed from a tank with a dominant male (at the 4" range).

duanes - Congrats on the sticky!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store