About an hour ago my Oscar snapped

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
:screwy:

I was reading some posts on here then heard some spashing and my Albino Oscar was going crazy attacking 2 5+ inch blue gourmies , she killed them before I had enough time to move the gourmies to a different tank :eek:

She has shared a tank with them since she was 3 inches granted she is about 12 inches long now most likely a bit larger , they were in a 75 gallon tank and everything has been awesome never any chasing ... most of the time its like she didn't even notice them .... I am still so shocked because The oscar is normally really peaceful ... I know it sounds weird but it the truth ... now she is cruising the tank and acting like normal ... I wonder if the gourmies ( I know I am miss spelling it , but I am sure you know what kind of fish I am talking about ) did something to make the oscar mad ....

temp is at 80 and the tank gets fed 3 times a day 5 days a week and it is on nothing but pellet and shrimp ...

Any one elses fish just snapp like that on its tank mates that is has lived with for a year like that ?

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Sorry to hear about the gourami but cichlids will be cichlids and it doesn't surprise me any more when they go on a rampage.

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
Ty, Man that is an awesome pair of festae you got ! I have been trying to find some for sale but not having any luck :(

pat3612

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2008
Barrie Ontario Canada
Is there anything else in the tank some times gouramis can get nippy and maybe the oscar had had enough. Did he just kill them or eat them. Oscars are predators some times they will live a long time with certain tank mate then its wam bam thanks for the meal. I found this out with Jack Dempseys. Sorry for your loss.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
TY back, and I've had a few cichlids I thought were peaceful go on a killing spree and then go back to their 'normally calm self' lol.

(Edit: to say they did eat any of the bodies....they just killed them to kill them.)

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
in the 75 there was 1 albino oscar , 2 blue gourmies, 1 albino clawed frog

After the attack she left the corpses of both of them so I am guessing they just made the oscar mad and it had enough, my albino clawed frog just swam up and bumped into the oscar and lol it scared the carp out of it LOL ... I am sorry but its so Odd to me that this Oscar went from being a Total pyscho fish to a total sissy and freaking out over a albino clawed frog bumped into it !!!

Amphilophus88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
Holland
I had a similar situation. A very peaceful Vieja Synspilum went crazy and killed my Jack Dempsey. The Jack Dempsey didn't do a thing. After he killed the JD he ignored the corpse and was just peaceful again. I was just as confused as you are right now cause it was really weird.

rba718

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Could it have been a territorial issue? I kind of even doubt that considering the low stock of your 75 gallon tank. Things should have been fine. Sorry to hear that though.

Noddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
Ede-Holland
Oscars can go berserk on tankmates, just because they can.
I had smaller tankmates, like swordtails, that survived my wellfed oscar, only to get killed once the oscar was fed up with them.
he only killed, and left them floating...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store