About Angelfish

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
So I had this Angelfish for around 6 months. Hasnt grown much but is otherwise healthy. Swims fine interacts with me and eats fine too. I was thinking of getting her/him a mate but I dont know what to do. Tank is a 40B with 2 Albino Senegal Bichirs, BN Pleco, few Platies and a Rainbow Shark. How can I determine the gender ? Also does the type/colour morph matter ? Thanks in advance and here is a pic !

IMG_20220221_214837.jpg

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
Dunno if I would in your tank, you have a lot of fish in there already, the angel is fine, and I'd want to add like 4 or more angels. Maybe start like a 50g angel tank and move the single angel over? Edit, better idea, your birchers will need a bigger tank so hook them up, and then you could get away with a few more angels in the 40.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I had this Angelfish for around 6 months. Hasnt grown much but is otherwise healthy. Swims fine interacts with me and eats fine too. I was thinking of getting her/him a mate but I dont know what to do. Tank is a 40B with 2 Albino Senegal Bichirs, BN Pleco, few Platies and a Rainbow Shark. How can I determine the gender ? Also does the type/colour morph matter ? Thanks in advance and here is a pic !

View attachment 1491965
Personally don't have experience with Angelfish but read it's hard to sex them. Also keep in mind if you add another Angelfish you may have problems with 2 Angelfish. Remember Angelfish are still cichlids so a hierarchy will be established.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Dunno if I would in your tank, you have a lot of fish in there already, the angel is fine, and I'd want to add like 4 or more angels. Maybe start like a 50g angel tank and move the single angel over?
I agree with this personally would leave be.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
Dunno if I would in your tank, you have a lot of fish in there already, the angel is fine, and I'd want to add like 4 or more angels. Maybe start like a 50g angel tank and move the single angel over?
Ah I see, someone else said it was fine to add another Angel in one of my other threads so thought I would get more Info on it. Cant I add anything ? Recently rehomed my last batch of small fish remaining so that they wouldnt get eaten. The top side looks rather empty. Would like to add something but if my tank is already full might aswell not.

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
Ah I see, someone else said it was fine to add another Angel in one of my other threads so thought I would get more Info on it. Cant I add anything ? Recently rehomed my last batch of small fish remaining so that they wouldnt get eaten. The top side looks rather empty. Would like to add something but if my tank is already full might aswell not.
Never say never and I'm not the fish police, but yeah I'd think about a larger and/or second tank before more fish. Those birchir could get over a foot each, I've had angels that were maybe 5" long, and 9" tall. . .

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
Never say never and I'm not the fish police, but yeah I'd think about a larger and/or second tank before more fish. Those birchir could get over a foot each, I've had angels that were maybe 5" long, and 9" tall. . .
Well thing is I already have plans for a larger tank (65 Gallon) about 120 cm long. But the thing is, they are just plans and might or might not happen. I wanted to know because without the small fish the tank looked...Empty. I value their health more than anything and if adding more fish meant degrading their quality of life, I wont do it. If not, I would like a second Angelfish or some other small solitary fish that wouldnt be Bichir food.

Reactions: GolemGolem
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store