About Leopard Bushfish

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
So I made a post about Albino Senegal Bichirs few days ago. I was looking for tankmates for them in a 40B. Some people reccomended Mollies and African Butterfly Fish but today at the LFS a fish caught my attention. A Leopard Bushfish. Was going to ask about their care and if they could be kept with Senegals (did some research myself but experiene is always good) .The ones at the LFS were fairly small. Thanks in advance !

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I have 2 but not with my bichirsI did have a large one a few years back that used to go after my senegal but would just push the senegal out of way .They dont bite but just barge their way around they are no match for a cichlid if a cichlid attacks them they just go on their sides as though they are playing dead. I do like them very personable and greedy my larger one always pushes the smaller one around but no damage is done.I think it is down to personality of the individual fish as well.

Reactions: tlindsey

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
I have 2 but not with my bichirsI did have a large one a few years back that used to go after my senegal but would just push the senegal out of way .They dont bite but just barge their way around they are no match for a cichlid if a cichlid attacks them they just go on their sides as though they are playing dead. I do like them very personable and greedy my larger one always pushes the smaller one around but no damage is done.I think it is down to personality of the individual fish as well.
Hmm got it, honestly I have a single Angelfish in the tank too that is really calm I considered getting her a mate but was told that they would be aggressive. So decided to keep her alone since she is too big for a Senegal to eat anyway. Thats why I considered the Bushfish. How many should I keep ?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thats why I considered the Bushfish.
Please be advised if you read the post about the Leopard Bushfish it's not so much about aggression. My short experience with the Leopard Bushfish is that they are very quick at sucking up food like a vacuum lol. The Senegal may not get a chance to eat anything unless 1. You overfeed or 2. Target feed.

Reactions: krichardson

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
Please be advised if you read the post about the Leopard Bushfish it's not so much about aggression. My short experience with the Leopard Bushfish is that they are very quick at sucking up food like a vacuum lol. The Senegal may not get a chance to eat anything unless 1. You overfeed or 2. Target feed.
I do have a tube I use to feed Senegals even now. Wouldnt be an issue as long as they dont harm each other I guess.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
yes the bush fish will feed with lights out as well you can target feed the bichir but once it sees you doing it will be over there like a shot they move around quite slowly but once the see food they can move quite fast . When I had my bush fish with my bichirs I used to put food at both ends on of the tank to give my bichirs and rope fish a chance to feed . the bush fish is a realy facinating fish I gave my one away and regretted it so bought the 2 I have now 4 years ago.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
yes the bush fish will feed with lights out as well you can target feed the bichir but once it sees you doing it will be over there like a shot they move around quite slowly but once the see food they can move quite fast . When I had my bush fish with my bichirs I used to put food at both ends on of the tank to give my bichirs and rope fish a chance to feed . the bush fish is a realy facinating fish I gave my one away and regretted it so bought the 2 I have now 4 years ago.
Did some research. Seems like Bushfish need at least 60 gallons. Im already pushing it with Albino Senegals. I will look into tankmates that would be more comfortable in the 40B. If you have suggestions feel free to drop them on here or my other thread about tankmates.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
what about an eba electric blue acara quite peaceful cichlid one may be ok but again quite a fast eater

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
what about an eba electric blue acara quite peaceful cichlid one may be ok but again quite a fast eater
Thought about cichlids, specifically a firemouth but I think Im more of an oddball guy XD

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
African butterfly fish they just stay on the surface and only eat food that floats. I had 3 of them 2 lived for 5 years and the last one lived for 7 years would be not threat to your bichir the ones I had were in my bichir/rope fish tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store