Ac110's vs fx6

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
I never liked my aquaclear filters. I don't use them anymore. I don't even own them anymore. But I recognize that they have a great design and many benefits.
There are a lot of great products out there. Everyone should just use what works for them.

I've got sponges, sumps, magdrive pumps, sunsun canisters, fluval canisters, whisper power filters, aqueon powerfilters, eheim canisters, box corner filters... Some of the stuff is in use, some isn't.

I'd never put a single canister on a tank, period. I lost alot of livestock when a 3 year old, well maintained Eheim 2215 decided to quit on me on my planted 40gal. Ohnoes! Eheim is the best! Impossible! I replaced it with 2 sunsun canisters, each with their own inline heater. Redundant, safe, piece of mind. Sure the odds of a sunsun failing are greater than a single Eheim, but that's why I got two.

Whatever you chose, engineer some redundancy into your system. Nothing like panicking when your sole source of filtration takes a dive.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Pretty much sounded off exactly how I feel about the whole thing. I don't think I've evergone with just one filter since my first 29g which had 2 ac's on it. If you've been in the hobby long enough you have a little something of everything, if not 1 of everything. I'm not a brand snob, so the a) vs b) thing has never made sense to me. If it works it works; if it doesn't tweak it until it does. If I had the room under my 125(poor design on my part), I'd be using a sump over a hob/canister setup any day of the week though. You can't beat a sump imo. Like you, I had an eheim pro 2062 that I paid the same as I paid for the fx6, fail within 6 months so I'm not a huge proponent of eheim.. hagen/fluval(same company) I've never had issue with but maybe thats just been my luck. End of the day, there are plenty of options, and we just find what works best for us. Some of us are willing to put up with more than others, some don't mind cleaning canisters, others don't mind the noise that HOB's make.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Pretty much sounded off exactly how I feel about the whole thing. I don't think I've evergone with just one filter since my first 29g which had 2 ac's on it. If you've been in the hobby long enough you have a little something of everything, if not 1 of everything. I'm not a brand snob, so the a) vs b) thing has never made sense to me. If it works it works; if it doesn't tweak it until it does. If I had the room under my 125(poor design on my part), I'd be using a sump over a hob/canister setup any day of the week though. You can't beat a sump imo. Like you, I had an eheim pro 2062 that I paid the same as I paid for the fx6, fail within 6 months so I'm not a huge proponent of eheim.. hagen/fluval(same company) I've never had issue with but maybe thats just been my luck. End of the day, there are plenty of options, and we just find what works best for us. Some of us are willing to put up with more than others, some don't mind cleaning canisters, others don't mind the noise that HOB's make.
+1 couldnt have put it better

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store