Acrylic AIO

Truetommy

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mass
I’m currently in the process of planning out a smallish acrylic AIO tank. Eventually I plan on building a much larger acrylic tank, but want some practice on something smaller first

tank will be 36x18x18 with a over flow wall ~4 in off the back wall, which will act as the aio filter. I plan on installing a 3in brace around the parameter of the top, excluding the aio portion. I would prefer not to install a center brace across to keep as much top access as possible. Attached are some plans I quickly drew up for a general idea.

Now, I’m debating between 1/4 cast acrylic and 3/8. Online calculators say 1/2 which I imagine is overkill on something this small. Additionally I am looking ant ordering a single 48x96 sheet from e plastics for this project, as they had some pretty reasonable pricing and offer to cut up the sheet, which would save a ton on shipping. If anyone has some insight on good online retailers for acrylic or have used e plastics that would be appreciated.(note: I have checked pricing on local acrylic distributors in driving distance and they all seem to be charging much more than the big online stores)

09F790C3-CCE0-4747-80E6-2C61CE72ABDC.jpeg9B7CFDCE-5CB1-43B9-87BB-497CD46AAD95.jpeg

M1A1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2013
MN
Yeah looks like 12mm is recommended by my calc for a bullet-proof tank, safety factor of 4, and reducing the safety factor to 2 drops the minimum thickness down to 9mm. Full eurobrace but no center brace just like you want.

Will eplastics just cut things oversize with a saw and you're planning to do final size and machining yourself? Or will eplastics get everything glue-ready and to-size?

Truetommy

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mass
It looks e plastics just saw cuts. I was planning on having them over cut and doing a final cut and then running along router table for a clean edge. Mostly just having them cut it up for optimal shipping cost. Debating on dropping dimensions down to 32x16x16 just to get cost down as this is really just a trial run. I hoping to get away with just using Weldon on #4 and maybe #40 to build the seems

Truetommy

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mass
After doing the math, a 36x16x16 tank may make the most sense. Using a 48x72 sheet. I could get 6 36x16 sheets cut. Which would be just enough material for everything including bracing and aio back wall. I would think at 16 inches tall 3/8 inch with euro brace should be sufficient.

M1A1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2013
MN
Yeah you're doing the one-sheet-challenge math at this point so that matters a lot more than perfect numbers on the wall thickness calc, which is super conservative/safe anyways, so agreed that 3/8 should be good. Are you going to get a separate piece of black or white opaque acrylic to cover the AIO back wall or just leave it clear?

Glad you're cleaning up the edges on the router table, that is absolutely necessary to get a strong and clean joint.

Truetommy

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mass
I’m looking at possibly putting a 1/16 sheet of black acrylic over the aio wall, just for aesthetics. Probably cheapest that way.

Reactions: M1A1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store