Acrylic help needed ASAP

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I've repaired a few tanks and a good friend builds them, definitely not an expert. I think plexiglass is a trade name for acrylic but slightly different perhaps? Like kleenex is to tissue. If you meant Polycarbonate, that's a whole different type of material.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
When I got my acrylic for my 480, the guy told me that you could use either extruded or cast. The only problem was that extruded was more prone to flaking so edge prep would be a little more difficult, but it could still be done. I read all about the weld ons and in my opinion I would go with weld on 4. Just do some practice pieces first to get the hang of it.

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
When I got my acrylic for my 480, the guy told me that you could use either extruded or cast. The only problem was that extruded was more prone to flaking so edge prep would be a little more difficult, but it could still be done. I read all about the weld ons and in my opinion I would go with weld on 4. Just do some practice pieces first to get the hang of it.
Kk cool but plexiglass is just a brand name for acrylic right? Just saw your thread on your 480 pretty impressive

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Guess everyone needs to come to their own conclusions but the majority of builders highly recommend cast acrylic and most now say weld on 4 is not the best thing to use on thicker pieces of acrylic. Being prone to flaking would reinforce my belief that extruded is structurally inferior to cast.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Thanks I appreciate that. Plexiglass is just another name for acrylic yes. I was just saying it could be used Chaz88. I used cast, but the acrylic guy said it was possible to build out of extruded, however I would definitely suggest using cast acrylic. And what to use as a bonding agent is a hot topic on here and I don't care to get into that. Everyone has their own opinions.

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
Thanks I appreciate that. Plexiglass is just another name for acrylic yes. I was just saying it could be used Chaz88. I used cast, but the acrylic guy said it was possible to build out of extruded, however I would definitely suggest using cast acrylic. And what to use as a bonding agent is a hot topic on here and I don't care to get into that. Everyone has their own opinions.
+1 and by looking at your tank I think it's safe to say you know what you're doing

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store